Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Boston Training Day 1

" The finish line isn't given, its earned." unknown

Well Monday was day one of my 18 week training program for Boston.  The week did not start well. Sunday night I only got about 2 hours of sleep. I tossed and turned most of the night and was still awake at 3:15 a.m.  I was exhausted but my body just would not sleep even after two doses of tylenol p.m.
I was worn out from all the tossing and turning because my legs were jumpy and I couldn't get comfortable.

It happens to me fairly often, especially on Sunday nights.  I 've sturggled to get to sleep my entire life. It is one of the things that comes with the whole CMT package. There is no one set of symptoms that every person show with CMT.  Issues with sleep are one that can show up...lucky me.

Well the alarm went off at 5:15 and I went through the mental struggle I go through every time I have a sleepless night. My body is telling me it needs sleep and to call in sick. My brain tells me I havn't called in sick in 9 years and you aren't starting now. I was meeting a friend for dinner, so if no work no dinner.  The brain won. Not a good start to the week.

Imagine having to work all day, go to dinner with a friend and come home and do a workout on 2 hours of sleep.  That was nothing compared to the 5 marathons I have run on no sleep.   But starting the week exhausted is not helpful when trying to keep up with a marathon training program.

I was able to get in a 45 min workout on the nordic track and crashed at 8:30 for a fairly good night of sleep.

I wish I could tell you I woke up well rested this morning.  Most mornings when I wake up I feel like I never slept.  Feeling tired is an almost constant companion. Sometimes the fatigue is profound and I still have to go out and run or swim or do whatever is on the training plans. Other days I feel really good and full of energy. I never know what each day will bring. I do know each day no matter how I feel I will tackle whatever challenges the day brings. If that means getting up and going to work on 2 hours sleep or doing a workout I will get it done.  More than most athletes I really earn that finish line.

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
http://www.run4cmt.com/

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment