Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fueled by Caffine & Sugar

"Running is a big question mark that there each and every day. It asks you 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"- unknown

Well today I was strong, but I really wanted to be a wimp.  I had a job interview today and a media interview yesterday so it's been a busy and important week. Last night I woke up at mid-night and it was hours before I was back asleep.

So I started the day tired and had 2 hours of grilling by a panel of 4 interviewers. So a bit of stress on top of being tired. Plus the interview was during lunch so my whole schedule was off.

On the training plan today was a 8 mile tempo run. I was really supposed to run that yesterday, but had to work late to make up for the time I was away from work to do my TV interview. By the time I got home, the sun was setting. I didn't want to finish my workout in the cold and dark.  I was really really tired today, but tomorrow the wind chill is supposed to be 0F, so it had to be today.

So I fueled up with a Pepsi. I bribed myself that if I didn't feel better I could always do a treadmill workout tomorrow. That caffeine, sugar and the prospect of a treadmill workout was just enough to get me out the door.  Being successful as an athlete takes discipline and consistency.  Sometimes the key to working out consistently are the mental tricks I have to use to keep me working out on my worst days.
For me the training for a marathon is mental as well as physical.

Tempo runs are always the toughest runs for me.  They start with a warm-up of ten minutes of easy running and end with 10 minutes of easy running to cool down. In between is running at a 10K race pace. Tough mentally to hold for 6 miles or a little over an hour. Plus I was doing hills because I am conditioning myself for the hilly Boston course.

I won't lie, this workout was tough. I was tired and I did the same hill over and over. I ran in the park just across the street, so keeping the workout close made it mentally easier.

Plus I kept telling myself I am going to be really tired as I near the end of the Boston Marathon and running when really tired is both good mental and physical training for the end of the race.  This is one workout I will store away. I was not a wimp today.  I made the 8 mile goal or 1 hr and 18 minutes which should be pretty close to 8 miles. I feel good about overcoming the mental and physical challenge I had in getting out the door this afternoon.

Running strong and finishing workouts like these will make me strong both for my Boston race and all the workouts I have to do until then....even on days when I am really really tired.

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
http://www.run4cmt.com/

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment