Monday, June 25, 2012

Busy Weekend for Team CMT

Kevin Klein at Pleasant Praire Triathon

It was a busy weekend for Team CMT members.  Kevin Klein raced in Pleasant Praire Sprint Triathlon. It was his first tri and his family was on hand to cheer him on. His wife got several good snaps of Kevin in his Team CMT gear.  Kevin finished 20th out of 50 in a very competitive age group.  He was 95th overall out of 220 in the Sprint Divison.  A really good effort for a first tri.

It was not such a good day for me. After two sleepless nights and a 1/4 marathon on Saturday I had nothing left in the tank. I gave it a go, but pulled out in the swim. I was fighing nausea all morning and was not able to eat breakfast.  I always wonder when I line up for a race if I will have the energy to finish. Well Sunday I didn't. I just couldn't do it and I don't feel good about it. The CMT just kicked my butt this weekend.  The bad part was I couldn't leave the parking lot since the race was going on. I got to watch everyone else having fun. I felt like a failure. I will just have to find another race soon.

Joy Von Werder

Joy Von Werder swam as part of a relay team in the swim around Key West. The swim is 12.6 miles. Due to tropical storm Debbie seas were 6 feet high on her leg of the relay.  Several swimmers bailed. The race started early because of 25 mph winds. There was lightning and blinding rain. Two kayakers and swimmers were rescued during the event.  Joy and her team safely completed the race. Well done. 

Cheryl Monnat & Robert Kearney


Three Team CMT members ran events at the Rock & Sole Half and Quarter Marahon here in Milwaukee. Robert Kearney and Cheryl Monnat ran the half and I ran the Quarter. Cheryl and Robert ran the event after a week of cycling in Northern Wisconsin.  I was also supposed to do the half, but an ankle injury has kept me from running long distance since Boston, so I took the easy way out and ran the quarter. It was a beautiful course over the Hoan Bridge and along Lake Michigan. Over 7400 runners participated in the sold out event.


Last but not least Team CMT member Anthony Zahn of Riverside California won the Para-cycling National Time Trial in Atlanta. He earned the right to be on the U.S team headed to London for the Para- Olympic games. Good Luck to Anthony as he tried to add another medal the bronze he has from the Bejing Olympics.

I'm pround of all of you and thanks for the pictures. We are raising a lot of awarness and I appreciate all your efforts.



Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.





No comments:

Post a Comment