Saturday, January 12, 2013

Race Day-Week 5 Boston Marathon Training

Milwaukee Art Museum

"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for."- Louis L' Amour

I'm still running unplugged, meaning I don't run with a radio or iPod. Because I am not the fastest runner I have lots of time to think when I am doing my long run. This week my long run was 14 miles and it takes me 2 hours and 30 minutes to do that. I guess it's 14  miles because I don't wear a GPS either. I base my distance estimate on the last half marathon I ran in Allen Texas last year.

I did my long run today because I was too tired yesterday and it was rainy.  I switched to today because there was no rain in the forecast. I had to start early because although it was 51F in the morning, the temperatures were supposed to drop to near freezing by mid morning.

There was time when I would have just skipped the workout.  Many years ago I was a member of the Milwaukee Rowing Club. I was rowing that summer with a rower from the University of Wisconsin. We were preparing for a national competition in St. Paul. It was windy one afternoon and Ann and I decided it was too windy to go out on the river.  As we were leaving we bumped into Candy one of the clubs many experienced rowers.  When we told her we weren't rowing she said something I have always remembered; "What if it is windy on race day?"  She was right. You have to workout under all conditions. You never know what the weather will be like on race day. The Boston Marathon last year was proof of that. Good thing with the temperatures soaring to 90 degrees I had plenty of experience running in hot temperatures.

So whenever I can I run outside in all kinds of conditions.  I really lucked out today. It was 51 F when I got to my running spot at 8 am.  Weather in Wisconsin can be almost anything, but 51 F days in January are a bit rare.  I picked out another new course and was ready to have some fun.

Milwaukee is on Lake Michigan.  Lake Michigan is one of five of the Great Lakes and the only one entirely inside the United States. The lakes contain 20% of the world's freshwater supply.  I am lucky enough to live in Milwaukee with extensive running paths along the lake.

Today I parked at Discovery World where the schooner the Dennis Sullivan is moored in the Summer. Milwaukee was once one of the busiest ports in the U.S. The schooner was built to educate about Milwaukee's maritime history.

It was sunny but oh so windy today as I ran north. I have great views of the water. It might be hard to believe but the water of Lake Michigan looks different almost every day.  Some days it smokes, others it is gray and stormy. Today it was sapphire blue. Winds were about 40 mph.
Milwaukee Lakefront Running Path
 I forgot my camera but  pulled the photos in the blog today off of the Internet. This is heading south on the path toward downtown Milwaukee. I ran all over the lakefront to a bit past Alterra Coffee. Alterra is housed in a converted water pumping station. It has outdoor seating and is very popular in the summer.

I did some speed work and a few loops around the art museum  pictured in the first photo. The museum is design by world famous architect Santiago Calatrava. The museum is meant to resemble a ship under sail, another nod to our maritime past.  I was done before I knew it.

Another fun run and it has really worked to change up my running routes. I enjoyed the scenery and the wonderful sunny day. Running is supposed to be fun and running in a different place has made my workouts fun again. On a long easy run, I can enjoy the scenery,do a little reflection and enjoy the experience.  All important for getting out the door the next time. Plus when I run into windy, heat, snow or almost anything else on race day I will be ready because I've done it in workouts. All important for feeling confident no matter what happens on race day.

Tonight we are supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow. Running in the snow is fun as well but tomorrow is a pool run/swimming day. Getting out the door and doing your workouts under a variety of conditions is important for being prepared for race day. Today I got some experience running in some very windy conditions. If it's windy in Boston I'll be ready.

*******

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have  114 members in 25 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment