Saturday, July 6, 2013

Top Ten Reasons to do a Triathlon


Cap Tex Tri Austin 2013
"What would you do if you knew you could not fail?"- unknown

Top 10 Reasons to do a Triathlon

1.     Bragging rights: Have the chance to be a finisher and get a cool finisher medal!
2.    Moving out of your comfort zone
3.    Finding focus and relieving stress
4.    Improving your health and well being while having fun
5.    Achieving total body fitness
6.    Reducing exercise burnout by trying something new.
7.   Make new friends and meet new people.
8.    Motivating and inspiring others (may be in your own family!) Especially if you have CMT!
9.    Change the view you have of yourself and the world.  Become a no excuses person.  Remember people with CMT were once told not to exercise. That is changing now!

10.                    _______________________________ ( Your own reason)

I got this list a few months ago from the coach in my triathlon class.  I modified it just a bit with my own slant. The class is for newbies but the instructor let me sign up.  I still feel like a newbie. I have lots to learn and now I am going back to learn the things I really need to know to be successful.  I've learned quite a bit especially about open water swimming. The coaches have given me some really good feedback.
Fear of the swim kept me from being a triathlete for years. Overcoming my fear of the swim got me out of my comfort zone. Taking risks and being successful is just the best feeling in the world. Athletics and competition is a great place to take a risk and test yourself. Taking a risk and getting out of my comfort zone were a couple of my reasons for getting starting doing triathlons.
 I also wanted to transition into a sport that was less demanding then long distance running. I know my body cannot keep running marathons and half marathons forever. I was already cross training by biking so all I had to do was start swimming laps to be ready for my first triathlon. I was not crazy about open water swimming in a crowd. My first few experiences were everything I thought they would be. It took some time before I got comfortable in swim leg of a tri.
Your reasons from doing a triathlon or running a race may be different, but just as important as mine. Those reasons will help keep you motivated as you train and prepare for a race.
One of the other things that keeps me motivated is to raise awareness of CMT. I am also still planning on competing at Nationals again this year. Still hoping to classify into the National Championship. The chance I could compete there keeps me working out even on days when I'm tired. Sometimes I would rather be resting then doing a speed workout, bike ride or swimming.  Remembering my reason from doing triathlons keeps me working out every day. 
 *****************

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 123 members in 27 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.










No comments:

Post a Comment