Monday, February 3, 2014

Boston 3 Training- Week 6 -Winter Doldrums

2012 Boston Finisher Medal

" Too many times I have given up on my goals mid-race, only to realize afterwards they were well within my reach, had I maintained my faith."- Mike Cassidy American elite long distance runner



Sunday        Bike 90 minutes               16 F
Monday       Run 45 minutes                -8F
Tuesday       Bike 30/wt 30 mins         -19F
Wednesday  Bike 120/20 mins            -2F
Thursday      Bike 30/wt 30 mins          21F
Friday          Run 60 minutes                10 F
Saturday      Bike  90 minutes               15 F

I am just a third into my training program for Boston. April seems so far away, it is tough to stay motivated. The weather is also really trying me mentally.

The brutal winter here continues.  The temps I have listed are the ones from my morning drive to work.  If it warms up it snows and we got four inches on Saturday.

We're lucky in Wisconsin, we have lots of equipment to get snow off the roads. So unlike Atlanta this week, we are able to get around.  One of the things every city does is put down lots of salt to melt all the snow and ice.  I heard on the radio this morning the city of Milwaukee is expecting to need to spread salt on the streets up to 30 times yet this winter.

My car that was shiny clean when I picked it up from the body shop last week is white from top to bottom with salt. The salt seems to get everywhere. It gets on my clothes, purse and brief case from climbing in and out of my car.

I have salt crystals embedded into my entry way rugs. Their are white salt foot prints all over my hardwood floors. I noticed at work today the tile hallway on my floor is covered in salt. I am sick of seeing salt everywhere. I find salt crystals in the corners of my house when I clean.

With the cold weather comes icy cold wind. I work at a local power plant. The plant is right along Lake Michigan. To build the plant the construction company carved an area out of the lakeside bluff. This has created a swirling wind tunnel effect at the plant office entrance.

The wind was so strong last Friday I saw a worker blown off of his forklift right in front of the building. As I watched I struggled against the wind to make it to my car. I barely made progress.

When it is so cold outside, I feel cold all the time. I am always cold due to my CMT. So it is hard to change from being fully clothed to shorts and a tee shirt to get in a bike or run workout.  The weather has been so cold I have not been able to get outside to run. Working out on a bike trainer and treadmill is getting old really fast. Sometimes working out this week was not fun. Especially when I know several of my triathlon friends have given up on working out due to the weather.

The good news is I got every work out done. It takes lots of will to keep working out when the race is far away and winter is relentless.  I just tell myself every day brings me one day closer to spring. Every workout brings me one day closer to the starting line in Boston. I have to remind myself what I am working for. I need to do the work to be ready for Boston in April and Austin and Spain in May.

The weather is expected to be cold and snowy for the next few weeks.  I expect it will continue to be mentally challenging until I can run outside. I hope it's soon.

*****************************
Chris Wodke National Duathlon Championship 2012

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a two time participant of the Boston Marathon.  She was the 2012 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division. In 2013 she qualified as a member of the Team USA Duathlon Team. She will compete in 2014 at the Age Group World Duathlon Sprint Championship in Pontevedre Spain.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.
Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 142 members in 28 states. We also have members in Australia, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment