Friday, October 17, 2014

Transiton


Fall in Wisconsin

"Decide upon your major definite purpose in life and then organize all your activities around it." -Brian Tracy, Motivational Speaker

Fall is a time of tranisition in Wisconsin. It is a beutiful time of year when the leaves turn brillant shades of gold and red.  Crunching leaves on the ground make a wonderful noise when ridden over during a ride or run over during a workout.  It's a time of transition as the days get cooler and daylight gets shorter as we move to winter.

Transition was the only word on my workout schedule last week and this week.  My competition schedule ended on October 5th at the Aquathon National Championship in El Reno, Oklahoma.  It was a great end to the season since I made Team USA for the World Championships in Chicago next year.

For a triathlete transition usually refers to the area where we set up our bike and run gear and where we go to as we move from swimming to cycling and from cyling to running.Transition is a place you go on the way to somewhere else. A good athlete plans their transitions as carefully as the rest of their race.

Transition was the only entry these last two weeks on my workout schedule.Transition  on the workout calendar meant I've entered a rest and recovery period of my training.   I'm way over due for a good rest. I've done the Boston Marathon the last three years, which meant I went from doing the marathon in mid April right into triathlon season and then starting all over again the month after the end of tri season.

My coach had nothing written into my training calendar. That is a really change for me. I'm used to working out 1-2 hours every day 7 days a week.    My coach told me I could do anything I felt like doing except run or even do nothing at all.   I could do whatever I wanted but I should keep it around 30 minutes.

I love this tranistion because it's giving me a much needed mental break. I have no race planned anytime soon, so I can just have fun with my workouts. I've been swimming and biking most days just because I love it so much. It's nice to just enjoy moving with no drills, no splits and no agenda.

Since I won't be doing Boston this year, I'm hoping the two ankle injuries I've picked up from training will finally heal. I 've been concerned the injuries are due to my CMT progressing. I guess I'll find out.  If the injuries don't heal, I'll have to give up long distance running and my transition to triathlon will be complete.

I'm enjoying the extra time to cook, relax and even try new things like Tai Chi. I have more time to spend on awareness raising for CMT. After all that is the reason I got back into competition. It has been and continues to be all about raising awareness of CMT and funds for CMT research. If someday I can't swim, run or bike, I'll transition into other ways to carry out my purpose.

My little mini vaction will be up in a few weeks when my indoor bike class starts the first week of November. I'll be making the transition into training for next season. Like this year it will be a season of appearing in national level events.  My weeks of rest and transiton are just one more place I will pass through on my way to next season.

*************************

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 5th at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division.

She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.  In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship. She has qualified to represent Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015.   In 2014 she represented  the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 159 members in 30 states. We also have members in Australia, Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing


No comments:

Post a Comment