Monday, August 10, 2015

World Championship Prep Week 15 & 16

Wisconsin Women's Cycling Ride, Newburg Wisconsin

"See first with your mind, then with your eyes, and finally with your body".  Yagyu Munenori

7/26     Sun     Women's Bike Ride 34 miles
7/27     Mon    Open Water Swim, 60 minutes
7/28     Tue     Yoga 60, bike 45 minutes
7/29     Wed    Bike 40 minutes, run 20 minutes
7/30     Thur    Run 50 minutes, Swim 65 minutes
7/31     Fri       Off
8/1       Sat       Swim 45 minutes, bike 90 min

8/2     Mon     Open water swim 60 min
8/3     Tue      Yoga 60 minutes, bike 75 minutes, run 10 minutes
8/4     Wed     Run 45 minutes
8/5     Thur     Swim 40 minutes
8/6     Fri         Rest
8/7     Sat        Run 15 minutes, bike 30 minutes

All my training this season is aiming toward my A races.  You cannot treat every race with the same intensity. An athletes body will not handle it. So some races are more important races or A races, Those are the races for which you train the hardest and give your maximum effort.

 Surprisingly the ITU World Championship is not an A race.  I know I cannot be competitive with Age group athletes. It is a privilege just to be there and be a member of Team USA.  My A race comes later in the week as part of the ITU World Championship week. It is the PC Open race.
I will be representing Team CMT at that race on a course in Chicago that will be lined with thousands of spectators.

It is impossible to work on all three triathlon disciplines of swim, bike and run in any season. Last year I had a swim and run focus. The run focus was due to running the Boston Marathon. I decided to stop running Boston to focus on triathlon. The spring marathon was right at the start of triathlon season and my coach was worried I was not recovering well for the start of the season.

So this season my focus has been on the bike. I have done a number of long weekend rides like the Wisconsin Women's Cycling ride in Newburg Wisconsin. I won entry to the event as part of a cycling clinic on racing skills.

I had done a ride in this same area only a few weeks ago.  Just like that ride this one was hilly in Wisconsin farm country. My camera batteries went dead, so I have no pictures of cows and barns to share.  I did wear my Team CMT kit and used the ride, like my races to raise awareness of CMT.


I always get asked about CMT when I wear my Team CMT gear.   There were many first time event riders because it was a women's only ride. It was great to meet the ladies.  One of the fun things about this ride is we were all given a cow bell as the finish and asked to ring our bell as the other ladies finished. It was so cool to come into the finish and be greeted by all the bells.

The ride was a fun way to build my endurance for races coming up later in the year after the World Championships.First I had a goal to make the World Championships. I set it as a goal. I always thought it would be as a para triathlete. That path has been closed to me, so I took the tougher route to go as an age group athlete. Now I'm doing the tough part of getting my mind and body ready for my A races.

 In October I will be racing with Team CMT member Joyce Kelly at the Aquathlon National Championships and in November I will be racing in Dallas at the Long Course Duathlon Championship.  After that my off season and some rest begins. Until then I'll keep swimming, riding and running.

**************************

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 2nd at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division. She was on the course in 2013 when the bombs exploded.

She has appeared three times at the Paratriathlon National Triathlon Sprint Championship. She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.

In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship. She has qualified to represent Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015.  

 In 2014 she represented  the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 165 members in 32 states. We also have members in Australia, Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland, England and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing


No comments:

Post a Comment