Thursday, December 28, 2017

Chilly Willy Last Call 5K



"Sharing our weakness is how we find our strengths."- Steve Gleason, Former NFL player diagnosed with ALS

I am still catching up with my blog after my computer was out of commission for  several weeks.

On the 2nd of December I ran the 2nd race in the Chilly Willy Winter Run Series. This one was called the Last Call since it was one of the last race of the season for the organizers, Silver Circle Sports.

I've run a number of races with this group this year including the Beer Garden Race Series and the Lake Country Triathlon.  Their races are always fun and well organized.

This one would be in Waukesha, a local suburb of Milwaukee.   Part of the course would be on the Glacial Drumlin bike trail. Waukesha has a nice series of bike trails in their park system.

This event had a half marathon, 10K and 5 K.  Most of the runners were in the longer distance events.  When I looked at the pre-race registrations, I think I only counted two women in my age group.

The half and went off first. It was a beautiful day, in the mid 30s with no wind. It does not get much better in December in Wisconsin.  There was a 30 minute break and the 10 K and 5 K were off.
The course was out and back on the bike trail.  Since I was still in recovery I just coasted.   It was a easy flat course.  I got to see one of my friends volunteering at the water stop.

I finished in 31:06, a couple of minutes slower than my best.  There ended up being six women in my age group and I finished 2nd in my age group.

Another fun run.  I won't race now until mid January. The month of December is always a rest time for me. I had a minor procedure done on my ankle this month to drain some fluid. Off season is a good time to heal and take care of nagging issues.

It also gives me more time to enjoy the holidays and get a bit of a mental break. My next race will be the Sampson Stomp, which is part of my local running club championship series.  I won the short distance this year for my age group.

This race was a great way to close out the season. It has been a successful year and I am looking forward to a great 2018.

********

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 2nd at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division. She was on the course in 2013 when the bombs exploded.

She has appeared three times at the Paratriathlon National Triathlon Sprint Championship. She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.

In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship and at the Aqua bike National Championship in 2016. She represented Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015 and at the World championship in Cozumel in 2016.  

 In 2014 she represented the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.  She has won state championships in cycling and triathlon as a senior Olympian. In 2017 she placed 2nd in her age group at the Winter Triathlon National Championship, earning a spot on Team USA for the World Championship.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 212 members in 38 states. We also have members in Australia, England, Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland, Scotland, France, Poland, Iran, Norway and Sweden. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Follow CMT Author Chris Steinke
https://cmtandmesite.wordpress.com/2017/01/30/what-is-charcot-marie-tooth-disease/


Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing, CMT disease, CMT and exercise, exercise and CMT, CMT, athlete and CMT.Team CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, bike4CMT, walk4CMT,  CMTA, HNF, Tri4CMT, Walk4CMT, MDA


No comments:

Post a Comment