Thursday, August 16, 2018

Wisconsin Senior Olympics- 5K/10K Race- A Run of Bad Luck


"Don't say I Can't, Say I presently struggle with." - Tony Horton

I have to say my 2018 season has not exactly been a charmed one. I have had lots go wrong in a variety of races. My luck did not really change on August 10, when I raced at the Wisconsin Senior Olympics (WSO) 10 K race in Racine.

The race is one of many events run in August and September for Adults 50 years of age and older. This event was also open to the public, but scored separately for the WSO athletes.

I look forward to WSO events all season, especially the road race  I had done this event a couple of years ago. The course starts in Pershing Park and runs along Lake Michigan.

The bad luck started the morning of the race when I work up with a slight case of food poisoning.  So I went into the event a bit dehydrated.  .

When I picked up my packet, I really thought about dropping down to the 5K, but a 6 mile run was on my training plan.  It was already warm and humid for the 9 am race start

My plan was to use the race like a tempo run. Hold back the first mile,  run at about 70 percent for the next three miles, and cool down for the last mile. 

I hit the first mile at a 9 min 30 second pace.  I did not have much energy when it came time to up the pace.  I got to a spot where a volunteer was sitting on a turn for a bridge. He said to follow the arrows. I followed another runner up and over the bridge.

Too bad for me, I had just missed the turn around point. I ended up going all the way over the bridge, adding at least a 1/4 mile to my run.

So now I had some work to catch up to the rest of the runners. I think there were just two in our age group. I could see her and worked to catch her.  I did it, but was not feeling great as I passed her. She kept close behind me.

I started to feel shaky and had a decision to make.  We were headed back to the start and I could finish and call it a day or go through the start and out onto the 3 mile loop for the 10 K course. Since I  was racing Iron Girl sprint triathlon the next day, I decided to do the smart thing and do just the 5 K.  It was not easy. I knew I was giving up a good shot at 1st place.  That was not easy to do because it does not happen all that often.  The athlete in me really likes to win.

 I let the timer know after I crossed what I had done.   I ended up in 2nd for the 5 K with a time around 34 minutes. The missed turn cost me 1st place.  It was a dumb mistake on my part.

Still it was a really fun race, great course and well organized. There are always lots of great athletes at the WSO events.   I still ended up running 6 miles that day. The other three were just at a much lower rate then I would have run in a race.  They weren't great quality miles, but I got the workout done and saved some energy for my Sunday triathlon. This race was a struggle, like many of my races this season.  My body still has not adjusted to the higher running miles I am putting in to get ready for New York. I have no excuse for the missed turn. This is the second time this season that has happened.  I think I am due for a good race.

************************


Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 2nd at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division. She was on the course in 2013 when the bombs exploded.

She has appeared three times at the Paratriathlon National Triathlon Sprint Championship. She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.

In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship and at the Aqua bike National Championship in 2016. She represented Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015i, Cozumel in 2016 and Denmark in 2018. In 2018 finishing 5th in the 60 to 64 age group.

 In 2014 she represented the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.  She has won state championships in cycling and triathlon as a senior Olympian. In 2017 she placed 2nd in her age group at the Winter Triathlon National Championship, earning a spot on Team USA for the World Championship.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete and the book “Soup Sundays, A Journey Toward Healthy Eating”.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 215 members in 39 states. We also have members in Australia, England, Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland, France, Ireland, Poland, Iran, Norway and Sweden. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/



Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing, CMT disease, CMT and exercise, exercise and CMT, CMT, athlete and CMT.Team CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, bike4CMT, walk4CMT,  CMTA, HNF, Tri4CMT, Walk4CMT, MDA

No comments:

Post a Comment