The Night Before Competition
- Essential for early start is high carbohydrates.
- 300 grams pasta dishes, rice, lean protein, cooked vegatables
- Example; 300 gram meal, 2.5 cups cooked pasta, 1 cup mariara sauce, slices bread, 16 oz Gatorade.
- 2 hours prior to start time, eat at 4:30 a.m. for a 6:30 start.
- Carbohysrates: 1.0 gm/lb wt.
- Eat cereals, breads, yogurs, juice, low-fat protein.
- Example;130 pound athlete gets 120 grams carbohydrate meal; l large bagel, 2 Tbl jelly, 8 oz juice.
- If the race is longer than 60 minutes, you will need 50 grams of carbohydrates per hour during exercise.
- Example; 16 oz of gatorade and 1 gel per hour.
- Set your watch to go off every 60 minutes to remind you to refuel.
Founder & Manager Team CMT
Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.
CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS). It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.
Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.
Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.
Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.
Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.