Friday, June 24, 2011

Marathon Training Program

Many of Team CMT members are doing Marathons this fall.  Team members Cheryl Monnat, Robert Kearney and Scott Stoner will be running the Lakefront Marathon. Dawn Fritzell is thinking about running the Fox Cities Marathon. Our Team CMT member in Dallas Joyce Kelly will be running the White Rock Marathon. Good luck to all of them as you start your training. I am so proud to have you all running for Team CMT!

If you are running a fall marathon you have either started or are about to start your training program. It takes at minimum 18 weeks to be ready at the start line.
 I will be running the Marine Corp Marathon on October 31st in Washington D.C.  It is estimated there will be 100,000 fans lining the race route. It should be a great event to raise awareness of Charcot Marie Tooth Disorder. Teammate Cheryl Monnat will be running the 10K. 

Not sure if running a second marathon this year is a good idea. I have never done more than one in any year. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Sometimes my head writes checks my body just can't cash. Will see how it goes and how well I hold up.  Also can't believe that next week I will start the whole process over again after just a month off. 

I got this program from a Runners World article in 1994. It has helped me to successfully complete 5 marathons.



Week
Monday
Tuesday
Wed
Thur
Friday
Sat
Sunday
1
easy
3
tempo
5
easy
3
speed
work
easy
3
pace
5
long
10
2
easy
3
tempo
5
easy
3
speed
work
easy
3
pace
5
long
11
3
easy
3
tempo
4
easy
3
speed
work
easy
3
easy
6
long
8
4
easy
3
tempo
6
easy
3
speed
work
easy
3
pace
6
long
13
5
easy
3
tempo
7
easy
3
speed
work
easy
3
pace
7
long
14
6
easy
3
tempo
5
easy
3
speed
work
easy
3
rest
0
Race
10-15K
7
easy
3
tempo
8
easy
3
speed
work
easy
3
pace
8
long
16
8
easy
4
tempo
8
easy
4
speed
work
easy
4
pace
8
long
17
9
easy
4
tempo
6
easy
4
speed
work
easy
4
easy
9
long
12
10
easy
4
tempo
9
easy
4
speed
work
easy
4
pace
9
long
19
11
easy
4
tempo
10
easy
4
speed
work
easy
4
pace
10
long
20
12
easy
5
tempo
6
easy
5
speed
work
easy
5
rest
0
race
20-25K
13
easy
5
tempo
10
easy
5
speed
work
easy
5
pace
10
long
20
14
easy
5
tempo
6
easy
5
speed
work
easy
5
easy
6
long
12
15
easy
5
tempo
10
easy
5
speed
work
rest
0
pace
10
long
20
16
easy
5
tempo
8
easy
5
speed
work
easy
4
rest
0
race
10K
17
easy
4
tempo
6
easy
4
easy
speed
easy
3
easy
5
long
8
18
easy
3
tempo
4
easy
3
rest
0
rest
0
easy
1-3
Marathon


Because of my CMT I can’t run every day.  I run every other day. I substitute runs on the easy days with cross training.  I use alternate exercises that mimic running like an elliptical trainer, pool running, Nordic track and biking. This approach may work for a lot of other runners as well.

 The cross training gives your legs some rest and provides a mental break as well.  I also need less rest days with this training program since the cross training is considered active rest.  I listen to my body, it tells me when I need a rest day. 
I may try something new this year.

 Since I have done 5 marathons, my body is used to long and intense exercise.  I may add some of my easy day mileage to a second workout on my running day.



Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment