Monday, December 17, 2012

Boston II


I just finished week 1 of training for my 2nd Boston Marathon. In just 17 weeks, if I am lucky I will be lining up once again on the starting line.  I have decided this is going to be a different Boston experience.Getting to the starting line is no sure thing. About 20% of runners training for a marathon don't make it to the starting line due to injury. I limped into my first week of training. So this Boston will be different because I am starting on injured legs.

I've been injured since just after last year's marathon.   I ran the Paratriathlon National Sprint Championship on bad ankles. I competed all summer hoping they would get better. I finally stopped running in mid-September to finally get treatment.  After being looked at by a about a dozen medical professionals, an ultra-sound and MRI, I was diagnosed with a cyst on the right ankle. The doctor has tried unsuccessfully to drain it. I am getting physical therapy and it is getting a bit better.  It could be worse. I thought it was tendinitis or a tear.

That still leaves the left ankle. I noticed the problems started when I switched to clip less bike pedals. I think it is due to the ankle instability that comes with CMT.  I asked my therapist about how to deal with it, and he said experiment to see what works.   So I have been taping my ankles with hope that it will add some stability.

So it may be time for another look at my bike fit. I am biking twice a week so it is possible this is causing the problem.  I am treating it with home ultrasound and keeping my fingers crossed

Last year there was quite a bit of publicity surround my Boston run. While I will be happy to do any interviews,  I won't seek them out.  The notice I got did put pressure on me to perform.  I felt like I was representing the whole CMT community. Some one at my CMT group told me, "We are all counting on you."

I feel like I proved myself last year and this year I want to enjoy the experience.  One thing that won't change is I will still be raising funds for CMT research.

The course was brutally hot and honestly it was a tough day. It was a fight to finish. I am hoping to enjoy the experience a little more this time.  The Boston fans are the best and I plan on having a good time.  If running 26 miles of hills is a good time. So I am running this one for me and if I happen to raise a little awareness for CMT and some funds for research it will be a bonus.  No pressure on myself this time.

Last year I set a goal of finishing  in the top 3 in my division. I accomplished that. I am going to train hard, but not be too concerned about the results this time.  I plan on training hard, but maybe with just a little less intensity than last year.  With any luck 17 weeks from today, I will be enjoying my latest Boston Marathon finish.

***********************************************
Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

In 2012 Chris finished 2nd in the Mobility Impaired Division of the Boston Marathon was the National Champion in the Physically Challenged Division of the Para-triathlon National Sprint Championship in Austin Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment