Monday, December 31, 2012

Running as Fast as I Can

First HNF Sponsored Event December 31, 2011

"No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch"- Russell Warren

Sometimes I don't sleep well, at least not well enough to have dreams. This week on vacation I 've been able to sleep in which means dreams.  I often have pretty strange dreams and a couple days ago I had a running related one.  I'm also watching Downton Abbey this week on my kindle. Downton Abbey is a WWI British drama and I am enjoying it immensely which may be why it figured in my dream as well.

I dreamed I was doing a speed workout and was running as fast as I could go. I looked to my right and saw the character Edith from Downton Abbey right beside me.  I thought I was running really fast, but she was walking quite slowly beside me. So despite my running as fast as I could, I was really quite slow.

Usually I don't have a clue what my dreams mean.  In this case I've been concerned about my running speed. I am just coming back from a 3 month lay off due to injury. The last time I had a long layoff due to injury my running times went from a 7:15 to 10:00.  So I have been wondering if I've lost even more speed due to my recent injury.

I  tried out a GPS watch a couple of weeks ago and my easy pace was 13:00. I had a problem before with this make of watch, so I have been wondering for 2 weeks if the problem was me or the watch.

I guess I will know for sure when I do a 10 K race at the end of January.  It is frustrating and worrisome to watch the effect the progression of my CMT has on my running.  I fell twice in the last week, so the reminder is always there. I wonder how much longer I can run and if I only run a 13:00 minute mile if I will even want to. I quite racing after my bike accident because of the drop in my running times. I was no longer competitive and my feet burned. I came out of retirement when I was diagnosed so I could raise awareness of CMT.

I remind myself I am lucky to even be running and preparing for an event like Boston. I try and remember how far Team CMT has come in the last year. Exactly one year ago today I wore the HNF uniform for the first time at a Half Marathon in the Dallas area. We have grown to 110 members. On almost any weekend we have a member participating in an event to raise awareness of CMT.  I never thought this little team would grow so big and do such great things.  So Happy New Year's to all my Team CMT members. You help me to stay inspired and to stay out there running.

*********
Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.



No comments:

Post a Comment