Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Elite Team CMT Member - Offers Cycling Coaching

Anthony Zahn at London 2012 Paralympics
Today we have a guest blog from long time Team CMT member Anthony Zahn.  When I was looking for a new racing bike last year, Anthony gave me some great advise which I took and purchased my Fuji Altamira. I have had my best triathlon season this year thanks to his timely advise.

I have CMT. If you are reading this I’m sure you know something about it. 


I am an athlete. By trade, a professional. I am also a cycling coach.


I have been to the Paraoympic games twice, first in Beijing 2008 where I got a bronze medal in the men’s LC4 time trial and again in London 2012. I have been to 3 UCI Para Cycling World Championships on the road and two on the track and have earned another 3 bronze medals in the road time trial at Worlds, along with 2 National Championships and a few other medals to boot.


As an athlete, business owner, citizen of the world I know how hard it is to focus, race, train, travel, maintain relationships, recover from injuries, and maintain sanity. I have been to the Paralympic games twice, four UCI Paracycling World Championships, several UCI World Cup events, National Championships, State champs, and local races and medaled at every level. I’ve been through every scenario (ok, every one that I can think of) and can help you through whatever life may throw at you


I have been racing bikes since 1990 and owned a bike shop in southern California from 1997 – 2011. I was a custom frame builder from 1994-2002. I have been on the US Paralympic Cycling team since 2005 and racing internationally with them in at least 10 countries since 2007.


As a USA Cycling Level 3 certified coach I am insured and able to work with athletes of all abilities wherever they live. 


I became a coach because cycling is what I know, what I do, and what I love. I have spent my life studying and learning all I can about it. Now it’s time to start sharing that knowledge and help other people have more fun doing what I do. Not everyone pins a number on, but everybody races. Maybe you ride by yourself and try to beat your time on your daily loop, maybe you want to be able to do the longer ride or just be fresher and have more fun at the regional Bike MS Ride, or maybe you want to try to go to the Olympics or Paraolympics. Whatever your goal I can help you achieve it.



With today’s technology like Strava and power meters I can coach an athlete in any region or country. With the maps, ride profiles and other info I will know exactly what you have done on the bike like we were riding next to each other. You can get me any time with email or Face Book. It’s nice if we can get together for a ride or two somewhere sometime, but not necessary. If you have CMT I know pretty well what you can and can’t do, which few if any other coaches will.


I can help you choose long and short term goals, assess your fitness, and put together a training plan to get you where you want to go.


If you have questions about buying new equipment I can help you in you buying decisions.


If you have questions or are interested in working with me the best way to get a hold of me is through Face Book at: https://www.facebook.com/AToZCyclingOr email me at azcyclery@aol.com


************************

Anthony Zahn is a member of Team CMT


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 127 members in 27 states. We also have members in Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.



Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Anthony Zahn is a member of Team CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment