Saturday, September 21, 2013

Tri Rock Race Report

"Don't  wish it were easier, wish you were better, Don't wish for fewer problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for more skills.  Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdon." - Earl Shoaf

I scheduled the Tri Rock Sprint Triathlon on September 14 because they agreed to have a paratriathlon division.  I was starting to get burned out because it had been a long season of racing.

It didn't help that I didn't get any sleep the night before the race. This race was not important so I didn't take a sleeping pill.  I was awake all night. I thought about not going but I had skipped a race the week before.
Plus several of my friends and one of my Team CMT teammates was doing the race so I had a reason to show up.

Since I was awake at 3 am I decided to get up and drive the hour to the race site before I changed my mind.
It was 39F when I arrived at transition. I got there early enough to snag a spot in the Lions Club lot right next to transition. It was ten dollars well spent.  Last year I spent more than an hour trying to find my car I parked on one of the side streets near the race.

Transition was not even open when I got there. I stayed in my car and just tried to stay warm. I quickly set up my area and returned to my car. I was just trying to rest and stay warm.
Just like last year the race was delayed by fog. It was so think you could not see the swim course.

The race was pushed back by  30 minutes. I got to the start line about 15 minutes ahead of time and had a nice visit with my friends.

The swim course is one of the nicest. You can actually see the bottom the water is so clear.  The bike course was really fun because it is in the country and rolling hills.
The run course is insanely hilly. My run time was long due to the hills.
Still all in all a good day. I finished 8 th out of 19th. and 1st in the paratriathlon group.
It was fun to see all my triathlon friends.

************************

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 127 members in 27 states. We also have members in Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment