Follow by Email

Monday, January 20, 2014

Boston - Week 4 Away Game

Marquette Michigan

" Like the marathon, life can sometimes be difficult, challenging and present obstacles, however if you believe in your dreams and never give up, things will turn out for the best."-  Meb Keflezighi, U.S. Olympic Marathon Silver Medalist

1/12     Sunday          bike 80 minutes, wts 30 minutes     31 F
1/13     Monday         run 30 minutes                               31F
1/14     Tuesday         Swim 35 minutes, core 30 minutes 21F
1/15     Wednesday   bike 90 min, run 25 min                   9F
1/16     Thursday        Rest                                             34F
1/17     Friday            run 30 minutes, wts 30 min           16F
1/18     Saturday        bike 90 minutes, swim 60 min     12F

I started the week away from home in Marquette, Michigan.  I work for the local utility here, managing the procedures for the plants. I was at our plant training procedure writers.

I picked the hotel because thy had a workout room and the biggest hotel pool in the city. It was big enough to do laps. It can be challenging to workout when away from home and I tried to pick a place to stay that would help me stay on track. Because it was winter I wanted the option to use a treadmill and a pool.

The training went really well. It was a good group. The problem was I was on my feet for 8 hours two days in a row and did not sleep well either night.  My legs ached from the long days.

Workouts did not go as planned. There were only two dumbbells in the workout room and I could not get the treadmill to work. The pool was warm and big enough to swim laps. I had to delay my swim. There was a water main break which put out the water in my part of the hotel. I wanted to be able to take a shower after the swim so I had to wait until later in the evening to get in my swim.

I stayed overnight after the second day of training because Green Bay which is at the half way point home was due for 10 inches of snow. I did not want to drive through that so planned on a Wednesday morning drive back.

The problem was it was snowing like crazy as I loaded my car. It was 6:30 am when got my car loaded. I had parked under the roof of the hotel entry way. As I put my car in gear to start, I head my car hit the support.  It was painted brown and was looking it past it.

I examined the damage and here is how it looked.

A little fender bender

I prayed there was no internal damage. So along with the snow storm I had the tension of wondering if my car would strand me somewhere along the road during the seven hour drive. Not a good way to start the drive.

I took off for Hwy 41 since the route is not along Lake Superior. That might mean less lake effect snow.
The problem was it was dark and the snow was blowing straight at me. I could not see lane markers and few car tracks to lead the way.

At one point the highway went from divided to two lane. I was looking for some tracks to drive in and realized I was on the wrong side of the road when I saw the oncoming headlights. I got back into my lane just in time.

To top it all off, my wiper fluid ports had frozen over. Good thing there was not much traffic so my windshield stayed pretty clear.
It was a white knuckle drive for 2 almost  hours. Things got a bit better when I got to Iron Mountain about 2 1/2 hours into the trip.

The sun was up, but traffic was greater. There was more traffic and passing cars would spray my windshield with a mixture of mud, salt and snow. The wipers would smear it into an even coat that was hard to see through. I stopped at gas stations twice before I got to Green Bay to clean the windows.

When I got to Green Bay it was about 10:30 and there were 7 cars still in the ditches from the storm the night before. Just south of Green Bay a car passes and splashed my window so bad I literally could not see. I slowed almost to a crawl until the wiper cleared the windows enough to see.

When I got to Sheboygan about  1 1/2 hours north of Milwaukee, my wiper fluid ports finally cleared.
So after 7 hours, my damaged car made it home. I was so exhausted I went straight to bed. After two days of being on my feet, little sleep and a stressful drive I was exhausted.

I did go to Computrainer class later in the evening, but I was too tired to have a good workout.
Thankfully I had a day of rest on Thursday and a good nights sleep. I bounced back and had good workouts on Friday and Saturday. Even got my bike fitted on Friday night. I think the adjustments will really help my biking.

So I learned I will not be driving to Michigan this winter or if I do I will wait until it is light out to start my trip. Training for a marathon takes place with lots of other things going on in my life. You have to have a short memory for the bad stuff. You have to take it on day at a time. I try and forget about the bad workouts and move on.
The car went into the shop today, so all should be back to normal soon. I will just keep on going and finish another successful week of training.


Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a two time participant of the Boston Marathon.  She was the 2012 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division. In 2013 she qualified as a member of the Team USA Duathlon Team. She will compete in 2014 at the Age Group World Duathlon Sprint Championship in Pontevedre Spain.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.
Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 142 members in 28 states. We also have members in Australia, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; or

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment