Saturday, January 18, 2014

Superfood Saturday


Fruit Crisp Oatmeal

My weakness has always been food and men- in that order.  - Dolly Parton

Usually it is best to make changes slowly. They are more likely to be permanent changes. When I decided I needed to improve my eating I took the slow change approach. I am a pretty healthy eater. I don't each much fast or friend foods, only have a about one soda a week. But I am not really a fan of green vegetables. So I am making three changes:

  • adding more raw vegetables ( including green ones) to my meals.
  • eating more soup ( reduce weight and get more vegetables.
  • add super foods to my diet to improve recovery and athletic performance.
I start work by choice at 6 am most days.  That way I am out by 2 pm leaving my lots of time to workout  or go for a run while it is still light. Since I start work so early I always eat breakfast at my desk.

I love this recipe because I can take it to work. I can put several together and just pop them into my food bag. The cover keeps everything neat. Plus it meets my goal of working Chia seeds which are a super foods into my diet.

You can vary the fruits used.  I did raspberry for this recipe, but I also did a batch with strawberries, I used strawberry jam instead of the honey. This would also be good with apples and walnuts on tap with maple syrup stirred into the yogurt. Experiment with your own combinations.


Fruit Crisp Oatmeal

Make this and refrigerate it overnight and you have ready-to-go oatmeal in the morning.
You can use any combinations of fruit and nuts. I used strawberries and almonds. Experiment to make your own combination.

¼ cup oatmeal
6 ounces Greek Style Yogurt ( no sugar)
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon honey

Toppings
¼ cup sliced strawberries
2 tablespoons sliced almonds

In ½ pint canning jar pour in oatmeal yogurt and honey. Put chia seeds on top. Carefully stir to mix thoroughly.  Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.  When ready to serve sprinkle with toppings.

Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are a super food. They are good in this dish because they are a good thickening agent. Try in your next smoother for its thickening power.


Chia seeds are produced by a flowering plant in the mint family.  They are native to Mexico, and Guatemala. An ounce of chia seeds contains 11 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein. They are rich in anti-oxidants, calcium, phosphorus and manganese. They are gluten free.  They also help you feel full so there is less chance of snacking between meals.

**********************
Chris Wodke National Duathlon Championship


Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a two time participant of the Boston Marathon.  She was the 2012 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division. In 2013 she qualified as a member of the Team USA Duathlon Team. She will compete in 2014 at the Age Group World Duathlon Sprint Championship in Pontevedre Spain.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.
Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 142 members in 28 states. We also have members in Australia, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment