Friday, December 5, 2014

Fair Friday- Peppermint Food Scrub

"Make-up can only make you look pretty on the outside, but it doesn't help if you're ugly on the inside. Unless you eat the make-up." - Audrey Hepburn

I'm starting a new feature for my blog called "Fair Friday". Every Friday I'm going to post a made at home beauty treatment or product. Well at least until I run out of ideas and recipes.

I've made an effort this last year to take small steps to improve my nutrition.  I've chosen to eat more nutrient dense foods and have been positing the recipes here.


Peppermint Foot Scrub

Not only am I improving what I put in my body, I've started taking care with what I put on my body.
That started a few years ago when I got really tired of winter dry skin that felt like sandpaper.

I started making my own melt and pour glycerin soap and noticed a big improvement in my skin.  I also went to a seminar last spring and learned how to make a "pain relief" cream. I posted the recipe here. The instructors talked about the harmful ingredients in many of the make-up and skin care products we use. Those ingredients can be absorbed by our bodies.

I'm kicking off the series with peppermint foot scrub. I had my sugar foot scrub last month when I had my massage at Massage Envy. It was nice but at $12, a little pricey.

It is really easy to make and much cheaper than the spa price. In addition these are all natural ingredients.

I love the peppermint smell of this and it gives a nice tingling sensation on my feet.

The olive oil in the scrub is nice for softening the skin. Be sure to dry your feet well before you walk. Your feet will be slippery due to the olive oil.  Scrubs are great but overuse can irritate your skin. Keep the scrub treatments to 2 or 3 a week.

Peppermint Foot Scrub*

1 ½ cup fine sea salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 drops peppermint essential oil

Mix all ingredients together.  Store in a clean, dry, covered container.

This mixture is  best used after a foot bath or soak. It gently exfoliates callused soles and feet.

Peppermint essential oil has antibacterial properties that stop the growth of bacteria.  It also has anti-fungal properties.  It has been used as a home treatment for skin ailments such as rashes.

The menthol in peppermint also helps prevent oil production so it helps treat oily skin.

It is important to use essential oils, not just a peppermint fragrence.  I got mine from Amazon. I think many health food stores sell them as well.

* Adapted from the book “ Homemade Body Scrubs & Masks for Beginners”  by Lindsey P


************************
Chris Wodke representing for Team USA at PATCO 2014

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 2nd at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division. She was on the course in 2013 when the bombs exploded.

She has appeared three times at the Paratriathlon National Triathlon Sprint Championship. She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.

In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship. She has qualified to represent Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015.  

 In 2014 she represented  the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 159 members in 30 states. We also have members in Australia, Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.

CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing

No comments:

Post a Comment