Monday, May 11, 2015

World Championship Training- Week 3, Balance

A little bit of my garden


"I've never known a man worth his salt who in the long run deep down in his heart, didn't appreciate the grind, the disciplinee." - Vince Lombardi


Monday                  2 hour group bike ride with Bella Donna bike club
Tuesday                  Yoga for cyclist, 60 minutes
Wednesday             Wts. 30 minutes, run 55 minutes, swim 70 minutes
Thursday                 Bike 1 hr 20 minutes, run 22 minutes
Friday                      Run 1 hr 20 minutes
Saturday                   Bike 2 hr 30 minutes, swim 60 min, wts. 30 minutes
Sunday                     Walk 30 minutes

Most days I like training and don't see it as a grind. It gets a little old in the winter, but now that the weather is nice at least on some days, I can get outside to bike and run. Swimming outside is still a few weeks away. Really only about 3 weeks. When I get back from para-triathlon Nationals in Austin, lake swimming will have started and the outdoor pools will be open. There is nothing better than swimming laps in the summer outside.

The weather has been really up and down. Some days last week it was in the 80's and sunny, but by the weekend it was rainy and in the 40's. So some days this week I had the freedom of outside workouts, other days it was the grind of being indoors.

The biggest challenge for me is balancing everything I have going on in my life while training in three sports.  The CMT also complicates things because I have to be careful not to overdue. It can be a real balancing act to get my training in,work, run errands, clean the house and do some writing.

Now that the weather is warmer, I can add gardening to the list.  I have a flower garden that surrounds my entire house and goes around my entire backyard.   Spring in the garden means lots of clean up of dead leaves and winter debris.

I have to make sure I don't work in the garden or more than a couple of hours or I really pay for it at night.  Almost no workout makes me as sore as working in the garden. If I overdue it can feel like my whole body is on fire.

So I am working my way around the garden a few hours at a time, at least when it's warm and sunny.  I really love it. It is such a treat to see flowers and green grass after a long mid-western winter.
When I see how pretty my garden looks, all the hard work is worth it. Just like when I cross the finish line in a race, all the hard workouts are worth it.

Balance is the key. Finding the right balance of working out to be successful, but now so much that I over do it.  Sometimes all my carefully laid plans get upset. On Friday I was scheduled for an MRI. My neurologist has some concerns from my yearly checkup.

What I thought would be a quick 20 minute scan was really supposed to be a 90 minute test.
As they were putting me into that very narrow opening, I decided 90 minutes in that confined space was really not going to work.  So not only did I miss my pool workout that night I had to rearrange my workouts all weekend. I still have to go through the test yet at some point and wait in suspense for the results.  All part of the balancing act of being an athlete.

*******************
Author at Aquathlon National Championship 2014

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 2nd at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division. She was on the course in 2013 when the bombs exploded.

She has appeared three times at the Paratriathlon National Triathlon Sprint Championship. She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.

In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship. She has qualified to represent Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015.  

 In 2014 she represented  the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 163 members in 32 states. We also have members in Australia, Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing


No comments:

Post a Comment