Monday, August 22, 2016

Race Report- Double Header


"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi

In early August I did two races in two days. My coaches would not have approved. Good thing I am self coached these days.

I didn't intend to over schedule myself.  I had so much fun doing one of the Beer Garden 5K's that I signed up for another one. This race series has been following the mobile beer garden around the Milwaukee County parks. I had forgotten how much fun it was to run a 5K race. There were at night too which was a bonus. No early morning wake-up call.  The only problem was I had forgotten I was scheduled to do the third race in a three race Aquathlon series.

Series points were on the line for the Aquathlon and I needed the open water practice in my run up to the ITU World Championship in Cozumel.  So I decided to do both events

First up was the Aquathlon on August 3rd. I had finished 3rd and 1st and I was hoping to finish 3rd overall for women in the 50-59 age group.

I planned on going easy on both the swim or run. The swim course is two loops. As I was coming around on the 2nd loop I noticed the kayak was following me.  There were swimmers just ahead of me including one woman in my age group.

As I exited the swim I asked if I was the last one out and I was told yes.  So I had to push on the run a bit to catch the woman just ahead of me. I actually moved ahead of four other athletes on the run.  Jeff Crosby sped up just as I passed him in the last half mile. I said " you just can't let a woman beat you can you"  So he said we should hold hands and finish together. They scored him ahead of me. I finished in 55:40 good enough for 3rd place in my age group.

It was still hot the evening of the Beer Garden run.  Race time temperature was  92 F.  I decided this 5 K would be a very easy run. The last run I pushed it and finished just 12 seconds out of third.  There were about 36 women in my age group so I was proud of that finish.  That plan turned out to be a good one. My hamstrings were a bit sore and I was a little tired after doing a 800 meter swim/5K run the day before.

I almost thought I had taken a wrong turn when I went through the finish line after about 20 minutes, then I realized everyone continued to run and it was just part of the course.

I crossed the finish line in 30:47, which was almost two minutes slower than the previous run.  I got my glass or root beer stretched and went home.  When I check the results when I got home I was surprised to see I had placed 3rd in my age group and I was not far out of 2nd.

So I had good races and a great time. I would not recommend doing a doubleheader.  I was not able to do really well in either race,

**********************

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 2nd at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division. She was on the course in 2013 when the bombs exploded.

She has appeared three times at the Paratriathlon National Triathlon Sprint Championship. She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.

In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship. She represented Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015 and will represent the US at the World championship in Cozumel in 2016.

 In 2014 she represented  the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.  She has won state championships in cycling and triathlon.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 196 members in 37 states. We also have members in Australia, England,Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland, Scotland, France, Poland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing


No comments:

Post a Comment