I am seeking team members to help me raise awareness of Charcot Marie Tooth Disease. 2.6 Million people worldwide have this disease and most medical professionals of never heard of it.
A few facts about CMT
- It is the most common inherited neuropathy, affecting 150,000 Americans.
- Is a slowly progressive, causing deterioration of peripheal nerves that control sensory information and muscle function of the foot/lower let and hand/forearm.
- Causes degeneration of the peroneal muscles (located on the front of the leg below the knee.
- Causes foot drop, walking gait problems, high arches, hammer toes, problems with balance, problems with hand function, loss of normal reflexes and curvature of the spine.
- There is no effective treatment, although physical therapy and moderate activity are beneficial.
- Can in rare instances cause severe disability.
- Affects all genders and races.
- If one parent has CMT there is a 50% chance of getting the disease.
- The gene that causes CMT has been identified.
- STAR- the Strategy to Accelerate Research- is the effort to fund research. The goal is to find a treatment in 3-5 years.