Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Joy of Running

"I believe God made me for a purpose.....But he also made me fast, and when I run I feel his pleasure."
Eric Liddell
Chariots of Fire

Today was one of those days I know exactly how Eric Liddell felt.  I had a 20 mile run to do today.
As I went out the door I realized it was one of those days we all live for in Wisconsin. Fall is my favorite season and it was a perfect fall day. If I never ran again I would want to remember this as my last run.

I ran on sidewalks colored gold with fallen leaves. I loved the sound of leaves crunching under my feet as I logged the miles.  Part of my run was along lake Michigan and the water matched the color of the sky, both sapphire blue. It was warm with just a slight breeze. What at day for a run and to be alive. There really is a runner's high and I am going to feel great for hours. Days like today are why I run. I got to run through six parks on my route, all full of fall follage of gold, red and green all lit by golden sunlight.  I will carry the memory of told through the long winter months ahead. I am not fast, but I felt the pleasure of being a runner and being alive on such a fantastic day.

This 20 mile run was my last long hard work out before Marine Corp Marathon. In exactly 3 weeks I will toe the line with 30,000 other runners. I picked this race for my 6th marathon because the course is lined with  100,000 spectators.  It will be a great opportunity to raise awareness for CMT as Team CMT member Cheryl Monnat and I participate. Cheryl will be running in the 10K.

I feel great that I was able to finish this workout at all. I have had a sinus infection for 2 weeks. I totally lost my voice for over a week. Anyone who knows me will understand how tough that is because I love to talk. I am still not totally over it and found out this morning I can cough and run at the same time.  I almost have it beat and expect to be completely healthy on race day.

I have also been fighting turf toe since mid July.  I had to cut back on some runs, but today the foot was fine.  My legs also feel great. Getting 20 miles done is always tough. I always wonder how I will run 6 more on race day. Race day magic always takes over and I get it done.

I'm ready and can't wait for race day.  There is no pressure since I ran Madison to qualify for Boston. This one is just for fun and to feel good. Just like today.


Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment