Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Marine Corp Marathon Dedication

" Impossible is not a word, It's just a reason not to try."  Kutlass from the song "What faith can do."

  When Team CMT member Joyce Kelly contacted the national CMTA about starting a running team, she was told people with CMT don't run.    I was told by more than one physical therapist that people with CMT can't run.  Well we can and I am going to prove it one more time on Sunday at the Marine Corp Marathon. 

Marathons are tough. The physical part of running 26 miles is not easy. This is marathon number 6 and I know the pain that waits on the course. The toughest part of the marathon is mental. It is tough for me to keep going when all I want to do is quit or at least walk.  Every time when I toe that starting line, I wonder if I can do it one more time.  What has helped me mentally every time is
dedicating the race to someone. In May I dedicated the Madison marathon to my mom. This time it's the members of Team CMT.

I am dedicating this race to the athletes of Team CMT. First to my teammates who have CMT.  Many of you were told not to run, but you did it anyways.  CMT makes us slow and presents challenges, but it can't keep us from the sports we love.  Joyce, Jude, Jess, Jane, Richard, Michael, Donna, Erika, Cody, Dale and Tosha, you inspire me.  When I get frustrated about being slow and complain about injuries, you all remind me how lucky we are to still be running.

To all the Team CMT members running for family members;Bill, Karen, Kathy, Pam, Dawn, Gary, Tashua, Megan, Charlie, Tim, Alyssa, Shirley,Ruth, Will, Shelia and Emmalee. Thanks for your support and your willingness to raise awareness for your family members. It means more to us then we can possible say.

Finally to all the other Team CMT members who are running just because one of us asked you to help, Cheryl, Robert, Katie, Morgan, Tony, David, Paul, Gloria, Brett, Scott, Jim, Kevin, Kim, Ruth, Glydnis, and Anthony. Some of you I havn't ever met, but you stepped forward when one of us asked. What a true act of love.  Your kindness means more than I can say.

My running partner Cheryl will also be running. She was my very first team member. She listened patiently as I talked on and on about forming this team and listened to my ideas for singlet designs. She continues to be one of our most ardent supporters. She has been with me for virutally every race and will be running the 10 K on Sunday and providing moral support. Thanks Cheryl!!

I will be running for all of you, doing what many of us have been told is impossible. We aren't supposed to exercise too hard and definately not to run marathons. Sunday will be tough because I am fighting a couple injuries. But it won't be impossible because I will be carrying the good wishes, hopes and faith of Team CMT with me.  Thanks Guys!  The finsher medal at the end is always sweet. This time it will be even better. There are expected to be 100,000 spectators on the course.  We will be doing a lot of awarness raising with this race.    See you at the finish.

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment