Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Boston Marathon-Am I in or out?

You can chase a dream
That seems so out of reach
And you know it might not ever come your way
Dream it anyways.

Martina McBride from the song "Anyways"


From the first time I trained for a marathon my goal was to run Boston.  The closest I came to meeting the time standard was my first marathon. I ran it in 4 hours missing the time standard by 10 minutes. As my CMT has progressed, that dream has gotten farther and farther away.

Today my marthon dream became reality. I was informed today by the Boston Athletic Associaton that I was accepted to the Mobility Impaired Division.

I didn't even know there was a Mobility Impaired Division until I was looking at getting the CMTA certified as a charity. The division is meant for those that can't make the time standard due to a medical condition. I had to supply medical diagnois of my CMT (Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disorder) and prove I could make a 6 hour time standard.

I qualifyed for Boston by running the Madison Marathon last May.I lined up in Madison not knowing if I could still run a marathon. I had once chance to qualify for Boston in 2012. I completed  a hilly course in the rain in 4 hr 52 min. It was an emotional race because I had dedicated it to my mom who had passed away in March.  Boston takes the fastest athletes in all divisions and since I am over an hour under the time standard, I feel I meet the spirit of the best athletes running.

On April, 16, 2012, I will line up with 30,000 other runners and I will be representing Team CMT. I am going to get a medal much like this one placed on my neck. I going to raise a lot of awareness and hopefully some money for CMT research. I am so proud and humbled to be running to raise awareness for everyone battling this disorder, especially those on the team with CMT.

Running Boston is a little goal. I have a bigger one. A cure for CMT. I want to have back what CMT has taken away. I want everyone I know that wears braces because of CMT to know what it is like to walk without them. I want everyone that struggles to do everyday tasks like open jars and button buttons to do them with ease. I know it seems like just another dream thats out of reach. I am going to dream it anyways. Not too long ago Boston seemed out of reach too. There is no end to what you can accomplish with a goal and a dream.


Right now I am so excited.  I can't believe at the end of the month I will start my training. I know I have a tough road ahead, but I can't wait to get started.  As it gets closer, I will have fears and doubts and anxiety because I know how tough marathons are. This will be number 7 and I know it will all be worth it.

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment