Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What I'm thankful for



"Nothing can stop the man with the right attitude from achieveing his goal, nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude."  Thomas Jefferson

Running long distance like reaching a goal is largely mental. If you think you can't finish a race or reach a goal you probably won't.  Happiness is largely due to mind set as well. It is amazing how happy you can be when you cultivate an attitude of gratitude.   I know I think about all the things I am grateful for every night as I am falling asleep. Thanksgiving seemed like a good day to share some of them;
  • I'm thankful that despite my CMT, I'm still running and enjoying it. My diagnois has given me a new purpose and joy in my running and I am grateful for it.
  • I'm thankful for my fellow Team CMT members. I can't believe we started with 3 members only 6 months ago.  There are now 61 of us spread out in 16 states and England.  Race by race and event by event you are all making a difference. Still hoping to reach 100 members by this time next year.
  • I am thankful for facebook, twitter, LinkedIn and the internet. It has helped me connect with so many of you on the team, learn your story and share it with others. Your stories are so similar to mine, thanks for sharing them.
  • I'm grateful I am not the only long distance runner out there with CMT.  I had been told so many times people with CMT can't run or shouldn't run, I thought I had to be the only long distance runner out there with CMT. I happy to learn that I am not. Thanks Jude, Joyce and Richard for being an inspiration to me.  Joyce and Richard are both doing marathons this year, thanks for your courage and determination.Thanks triathletes Donna, Joyce and Jess for inspiring me.
  • I am grateful to the total strangers I recurited to be on Team CMT.  You joined just because I asked.  Thanks also for all the teammates running for family members. Not everyone has that support and it makes your willingness to help with our mission very special to all of us.
  • I'm thankful for team member Joyce Kelly. She helped me put together my application package and letter to the Boston Athletic association. I wouldn't be running in Boston next April without her help. And yes I am very grateful to have been accepted to run the Boston Marathon in April.
  • Thanks Joyce for making me do that tri in 106F heat in Denton,Texas while you watched and for thinking that I'm fast. Your comment gives me perspective. See you at Christmas for that half marathon in Allen.
  • I am grateful to the HNF for their interest and promise of financial support for our team. With their help we're going to take our team to the next level in raising awareness of CMT.
  • I'm thankful for teammates Cheryl Monnat and Robert Kearney.  They were at our first race. They will be my entourage in Boston and make sure I get to the starting line on time. Thanks for your unwavering friendship and support and thanks to Robert who has become a hard core runner.
I could go on an on because I have been truly blessed. I my list makes all of your realize things your grateful for in your life. Happy Thanksgiving.

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment