Sunday, March 18, 2012

Boston Training Week 12-Almost Famous


Barb Vonada, Courtney Hollett, Kim Farren


The Emperor Hadrian once said while building the Roman Empire, "Brick by Brick my citizens, brick by brick."

Roman wasn't built in a day and training for a marathon is not an overnight process either.Training for any marathon is a long process. You get ready work out by workout.   It takes 18 weeks to build the stamina and endurance to cover 26 miles.  This week I got a break because it was an easy week.  The mileage builds for 2 weeks and is cut back in the third week to give the body a chance to rest.

So my long run was only 12 miles.  Seemed easy since it only took 2 hrs and 12 minues.  That was half the time of my longest run.  Still fighiting a couple of injuries but hanging in there.

It as a busy and eventful week for Team CMT.  My interview with WTMJ here in Milwaukee aired through out the day on March 8th.  I had complete strangers come up to me in the gym and tell me they had seen it and people have been asking lots of questions.  Someone even told me they were inspired.  Hope he is inspired to work out.  I haven't watched the video.  I don't like to see myself in pictures or like the sound of my voice.  Besides I was there so I kind of already know.

This week also brought some tremendous news.  System Seven in Boston is going to match donations for the Marathon run up to $10,000.  I remember laying in bed last Sunday night and thinking about the fact I had committed to HNF to raise $10,000 and I was not even close yet. So I laid it on God and asked about the $10,000.  Well Thursday was when we got the sponsorship.  I guess in the future I should think bigger.

The nice thing is, if I raise $10,000 and it is matched, I will have doubled the money I've invested.  Not a bad return.

So bit by bit, we grow this team, raise money for research and get ready for Boston.
This week I have a 10 K race with Team CMT members, an interview with Boston radio and a 20 mile long run.  Just one more brick in the road to Boston.

Chris Wodke
Founder and Manager Team CMT
http://www.run4cmt.com/

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment