Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Boston Training Week 13-

Richard & Ruth Cook


"Running a marathon gave me the inner strength that changed my life....just finishing can have a profound effect on your confidence and self esteem."- Henley Gibble

This week was full of accomplishments for Team CMT members.  Virginia Team CMT member Ruth Cook finished her first marathon at the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach this weekend.  I still remember how great I felt when I finished my first marathon.  Finishing a marathon is a struggle and after crossing the finish line  I knew there was nothing in life I would't be able to accomplish.  I feel that way every time I cross the finish line. Every mile is hard won and makes the accomplishment that much sweeter.  I am glad Ruth knows what that feels like.  Only 1% of Americans have run a marathon, Ruth is now in that club and she joins Team CMT members, Katie Ayala ( who did her 2nd as a Team CMT member this weekend) Richard Cook, Mary Snauffer, Mary Louie, Kristin Crosby, Robert Kearney, Cheryl Monnat and Chris Wodke.  Congratulations also to Pat Jett for finishing the half and Katie Ayala for finishing the marathon on a day when she was sick.  Katie is trying to qualify for Boston so she can run with Richard Cook next year. Get'em next time Katie.

This was a good week for Team CMT here in Wisconsin as well. We had the 10K Luck of the Irish Run in Hartland. I was joined by team members Robert Kearney, Cheryl Monnat, Kathy Stultz and Lincoln Stultz.

My plan was to run it easy to test what my marathon pace would be.  The 10K race was just the first part of a 20 mile day.  The course was 3 loops with 2 big hills on each loop.  Everyone looked pretty tired and complained about the course.  I went and ran the loop again, just to get the hill work in and add a little mental toughness.  I finished in 1:00.  Just good enough to give me the chance of running a 4:41 in Boston.

Cheryl Monnat and Chris Wodke


It was a good day for the Team,  Cheryl took 4th for her age group for the race and won her age group for the series.  On a day when I took it easy, I placed 9th.  Lincoln took 4th in his age group.

Racing is fun and makes all the hard workouts worthwhile.  I went home, took a nap and ran 11 more later in the day. The knee is still hurting, but so far I am getting through the workouts.

Up this week is an interview with Tom Held of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. I have felt like I have really arrived as a runner.

This is my toughest week and my last week of long runs. This will be the second week in a row of a 10 mile tempo run and a 20 mile run. After this week, its a taper to the finish.  Boston is getting close.  Almost there.

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.




Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment