Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week 14 Boston Training- I'm not normal

Ravine Trail Lake Park


"Our lives are fashioned by choice. First we make choices.  Then our choices make us." -Andy Andrews

This was my toughest week of training. It was the second week I had to do a 10 mile tempo run and a 20 mile run in back to back weeks.  It was foggy, rainy and 50F on Saturday and my legs were stiff.  My Chiropractor Dr. Drewicz had advised me to do my long run on Sunday to give my sore knee an extra day off. I wanted to do the run on Saturday since I have a half marathon next Saturday. Dr. Mark won this one.

Stairs Lake Park Bistro


On Sunday it was 52F and sunny when I started my run 20 mile run in Lake Park along Lake Michigan.  I needed a change to keep things fresh and wanted one last chance to run hills. That's what I did. I ran the long hill off of Kenwood, St Mary's hill and the hill by Alterra coffee all at least 5 times. The loop I ran was 5 miles but stairs hills and trail running in the part made up for 3 hours.  The ravine trail run complete with water fall is the first photo.  I finished my run with 30 minutes through some of the east side including my old flat on Shepard.  I am still running without music so that gives me plenty of time to think.

One thing I concluded is I'm not normal as I passed both Lake Park Bistro and Cafe Hollander. Seemed like the whole east side was either having brunch outside at Cafe Hollander or waiting to have brunch. I got a good whiff of breakfast food at both places.  Everyone was out golfing, roller blading, drinking coffee at Alterra, walking their dog, eating brunch or generally having a good time. There I was doing hill after hill and stairs,banging out another 20 mile run.  Still it was my choice and it was a great day for a run.    It feels good to have my last really long run done.  

In just 21 days I will be lining up on the starting line in Boston and all that fun I gave up will really pay off on race day. So maybe my Sunday is not "normal" for the average person, but its par for the course for any serious athlete. It's a choice I gladly make to be ready for the biggest race I've ever run.

It was a good week. I met with Tom Held of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel for an interview.  I talked so much I'm surprise he came back for the photo shoot on Thursday. Tom is a runner, skier and cyclist so it was great to meet him. He asked a number of questions that showed he'd read my blog which I really appreciated. It is a great honor to be interviewed by Tom. He has done profiles on a number of local runners, including two pieces on friend Rick Stefanovic.  I know I've arrived when I've been interviewed by Tom Held. I really appreciated his time. 

The weeks get easier now. I'm on my taper. Mileage is gradually decreased up to the race. This means all the hard work is done. Now I just have to let me body rest and repair. I love the taper which includes two days off in the days just before the race. My longest run this week will be the Trailbreaker Half Marathon next Saturday in Waukesha.  Will run it if the knee feels good.  The legs really hurt today during the run and I always wonder how I will do 26 when 20 hurts so much. Of course race day I take liberal doses of Ibuprofen. That and a little race day magic will get me to the finish.

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manger Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT


No comments:

Post a Comment