Sunday, April 8, 2012

Boston Training-Week 16- A Near Miss

"It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up."  Vince Lombardi

I told Allison early this week I was healthy and injury free. I would be at the starting line healthy unless I had a fall or an accident. 

I did have a fall and I came closer than I would like to being hit by a car.  I was bike shopping on the east side of Milwaukee.  Parking is tight on the east side so I had to park across from the bike shop. They weren't open and I had to cross the street a second time to get back to my car.  The east side is a busy place and there is always lots of traffic on Locust where the shop was located.  I looked at the traffic and guessed I could dash across before the next car arrived.

I did and suddenly ended up on my hands and knees right in the middle of the street with a car coming at me. I didn't account for falling time in my calculations.  I'm not sure why the driver never got close enough to hit me. They must have slowed enough, because despite how much it hurt I got up quickly and finished my trip across the street.

I have a bump on each knee and a nice red spot. The palms of my hands are pretty tender as well. Later in the afternoon theright knee got pretty stiff and I had trouble walking.  A little ice and it was good as new.

I don't seem any worse for the wear. I always joke, that I fall a lot, but God blessed me with rubber bones.
So a near miss but I'm still on track for Boston. It's only 8 days away.

Training was pretty quiet this week. I did my last long run today of 8 miles. It seemed easy. It was 54F and windy. A perfect day for a run. I often do errands on my long runs. It gets me out the door. Today it was a trip to the post office to mail bills and a trip to the ATM to deposit a couple of checks. Nice to combine the two. The time went by quickly. No music on this run. In fact except for one workout, the music ban has held up. I still plan on running Boston iPod free.

The workouts this week are pretty easy, nothing longer than a 4 mile run. Friday and Saturday are off days, and Sunday is a three mile run.  I leave for Boston on Friday.

Let's hope for a safer and fall free week this week. No more near misses, even though I am good at getting up when I fall.  I guess one of the keys in life is getting back up when you fall whether its a set back at work,  a failed  romance, or literally hitting the street with a car bearing down on you.

I'm ready for Boston physically and emotionally. Can't wait to get to Boston and meet our Team CMT members there. I'm excited and as the race gets closer I'll be a little nervous.  Really looking forward to the fundraiser and running the race.

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
http://www.run4cmt.com/

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT


No comments:

Post a Comment