Friday, April 13, 2012

Week 17 Boston Marathon Training

" A winner's strongest muscle is her heart."-Cassie Campbell

I am safely arrived in Boston and as ready as I can be for Monday. Trenni pictured here will also be wearing a Team CMT singlet in the Marathon on Monday.

All the training is done.  Now it's just 3 days until race day and I can't wait. Usually I am really nervous about running a marathon. Anything can happen on race day and with CMT I never know what part is going to hurt or if I will have enough energy to finish the race. I always wonder if the training I did was enough or the right kind of training.

I am excited because I am realizing a long held dream. I waited so long and worked so hard to get here. It is so great to be having two of us raising awareness of CMT on such a big stage.

It takes a big heart to run for a cause just because you were asked. So thanksTrenni!

The weekend is also exciting because I will be connected with old friends and meeting new ones.

I will be visiting with an old college friend, touring his company and having dinner with his family.
College friend Cheryl Monnat and boyfriend Robert Kearnery will be joining me to be my entourage for the weekend.

There will be a pre-event party organized by Team CMT member Duane Denny on Sunday night.  Several Team CMT members I have never met will be coming and I can't wait to meet them. President of the HNF Allison Moore will be there. So happy she will be on the course as well sharing in this event. I appreciate the support she has given me and the team though out the process.  Will also get to meet donor Gerald Lynch who is matching contributions to the run. I will also be meeting his 10 year old daughter who has CMT.

It is going to be a packed and emotional weekend. I hope I can keep it all together as I cross the finish line. I get choked up just thinking about it.  I have played over and over in my mind finishing strong and running well all day.  There is even a chance I could place within my division. Last year my time would have been good enough for third. The top two are back this year. I have played in my mind what it would be like to step up and accept my 3rd place award. I hope I make you all proud.


Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
http://www.run4cmt.com/

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment