Thursday, November 8, 2012

Team CMT News


 "It's better to wear out than rust out"- Dr. Lawrence Line

 It's all about long distance events in this issue.  Team CMT members are doing some incredible things! My brother once told me I was going to wear out my knees with all my running. I told him better to wear out than rust out. I think the Team CMT members in this addition would agree.

Team Ironman
Krisen Crosby Cezat and her husband Kevin

First up is Kristen Crosby Cezat.  Kristen is from Orlando Florida. She completed her first ironman triathlon distance in Panama City Florida on November 3rd. She is pictured here with her husband Kevin who also competed finishing in a time of just over 13 hours.  Kristen finished with a time of 15:47:15  An ironman is a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a full marathon of 26.2 miles. I cannot even imagine doing this. I am done after a marathon. I cannot imagine doing two more events of marathon magnitude.  Kristen is a physical therapist, a newlywed and with a new house. I cannot imagine where she finds the time to train. Kristen you are my superhero!  Shaun Daley of Atlanta Georgia has announced he will be doing Ironman Florida next year. This will be his 2nd Ironman event. Proud of you Shaun! You are an inspiration.  It is amazing to me the things the athletes with CMT have accomplished on this team. What is even more amazing is that Shaun got in. IM Florida sold out in 1 minute. Way to go Shaun. Excited for you.

Team Nationals
A RR for Joyce Kelly


Team CMT member Joyce Kelly, completed the Dallas Runners Club Half Marathon last weekend. Joyce is getting ready to compete in several half ironman triathlons this year. Joyce set a personal record in this event by 15 minutes.  Joyce has also qualified for the Paratriathlon National Sprint Championship in Austin, Texas in May of 2013. Joyce is coached by fellow team member Morgan Johnson.  Congratulations to you both on Joyce’s accomplishment. 

  Joyce qualified for Nationals at the Denton Monster Triathlon in Denton Texas, Halloween weekend.  She was 1 second from a podium finish in her age group. She joins Team CMT members Joy Von Werder and Chris Wodke as qualifiers for Nationals. I am looking forward to seeing Joyce in Austin.    I have Joyce to thank for qualifying last year. She made me run the Denton Pioneer Sprint Triathlon when I visited Dallas in 2011. She was the one that told me about the Paratriathlon Nationals. Joyce you inspire me to be a better athlete! Joyce has worked hard for these two accomplishments. I am looking over my shoulder.  We have a little friendly competition to see who will be better at Nationals. Can’t wait both to see her and to race with her.

Megan Seebeck in Yuma Arizona
Team  Marathon

Megan Seebeck was all trained and ready to run Marine Corp Marathon on October 28th in Washington D.C. Duty called Marine Seebeck to Yuma, Arizona. That did not stop her from recreating the marathon right where she was by running 26.2 miles in 4 hrs. and 17 minutes to honor her dad who has CMT and to raise funds for CMT research. She looks great; I know I don’t look that good after I run that far. I believe this was Megan’s first marathon, although she has run numerous half marathons including one this summer in Buchrest where she represented Team CMT. Great effort Megan, so proud of you. Thank you for running for Team CMT and raising funds for CMT research.

Team Ireland
Robert Kearney and Cheryl Monnat in Dublin

Anyone that has followed this team is familiar with this couple. They do a bike ride or run wearing their Team CMT gear almost every month.  On October 29th, Cheryl and Robert ran the Dublin Marathon in a time just under 5 hours.  Robert had a foot injury early in the race, so good effort to finish. They combined the marathon with a vacation in Ireland. I know they got to taste lots of good Irish beer and hear lots of good Irish music. It was a chance for Robert to visit the area in Ireland where his family is from.  This is not Cheryl’s first international long distance race. In August of 2011 she ran the Reykjavik Half Marathon.

Team Richmond
 This week Team CMT will be represented by numerous runners in the half marathon. There will also be an HNF cheer zone on the course. The event also has a post race party with silent auction to raise money for CMT research. Cant't wait to see the pictures and hear all about it. I was signed up to do this race, but had to cancel due to injury.

Injury Report
I’m still on the bench. I 'vee not run since mid-September. I’ve had countless medical professionals look at my knot on my ankle in the last 2 weeks.  After a diagnostic ultra sound and an MRI, the sports medicine doctor has determined it's fluid buildup. Good news, since there is no tear or stress fracture. I also found out I have an extra bone in my foot, which I already kind of knew about. So the fluid will be drained off this Monday, I will get a steroid shot to prevent re-injury. After 2 weeks I should be cleared in time to start training for the Boston Marathon this April.  I will start training in mid-December. So for those depressed about winter, spring and the Boston Marathon are right around the corner.

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.




No comments:

Post a Comment