Sunday, March 17, 2013

Boston Week 14-Dress Rehersal


"There is not time to think about how much I hurt; there is only time to run."- Ben Logsden

This is the toughest week of my Boston Marathon training program.  For the 2nd week in a row I had a long run of over 20 miles.

This week the Boston Athletic Association suggested this last long run be a dress rehearsal for the race. Nothing should be new if possible on race day.  Every long run is really practice for race day.  You practice using the fluids and food you will use on race day. An athlete will try to mimic course conditions in their long run.

While you can't predict the weather,it's also a good idea to wear the same clothes during the long run you plan to wear on race day. Best to fine out if there are any problems in practice.

So Saturday I lined up for the Luck of the Irish 10K in Hartland Wisconsin.  The race did start close to my Boston race start time.  The 10K was just part of my long run for the day.

The race also gave me a chance to do a practice run for race day with guide Robert Kearney.  We had a nice run and chat together. I knew the slow pace would keep me out of the medals and it did.   I finished one place out of the medals.

Teammate Cheryl Monnat finished 2nd in her age group and 2nd over all for her age group for the series.

I took a short break after the race and then was out the door again to finish my 20 miles.  When I run longer than 21/2 hours my legs hurt. Saturday both ankles were also hurting. So I wonder if it is so painful to run 20 miles, how will I ever run 26 miles on race day.  Some how I always do. I call it race day magic. I 'm going to need that magic at least one more time.

So now the toughest part of my training is behind me. I begin decreasing my mileage every week until race day. I am looking forward to having some extra time as my workouts get shorter.

********************

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 120 members in 25 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment