Sunday, March 31, 2013

Week 16 Boston Trainig

" A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures for anything."- Irish Proverb

The Boston Marathon really starts to seem real when the runner's packet arrived in the mail.  Mine got her this week. Just two weeks from Monday I will be lining up on the starting line for the second time.

This year there is a runner's passport. It has a map of the city, sites, tickets for pre and post race parties and most important my card to pick up my race number.


The packet included the clothing catalog.  One of the perks of running Boston is being able to wear the Boston Marathon Jacket for the next few years. It is a great way to let everyone know about your accomplishment.  The jacket is blue and yellow this year. A big improvement over the orange and black from last year.  I plan on buying lots of Boston Marathon clothing.


The last piece of information was the runners booklet. It has everything a runner needs to know about race weekend.  This is my second time at Boston, so it's all routine now.  Still a nice souvenir to have.

It was a good week. I am on a taper now.  My workouts have been cut by over half. I really like the extra time and energy I have. I filled the time with appointments to my chiropractor and massage therapist.

This is the healthiest I have been going into a marathon. I just have the injury to my right ankle. Hoping the taper will help that heal a bit.

I had some extra time and energy to socialize this week as well. I started the week with the Tri Wisconsin kick off party. Tri Wisconsin is the local triathlon club in Milwaukee. It was fun to meet other athletes and talk about upcoming races.

Wednesday night I closed out my 5 month indoor bike class with a wine and cheese party. It was fun to socialize with the classmates I have been riding with for months. I even got to talk to some of the cute guys I have had my eyes on.

My long run this week is 8 miles which seems really easy compared to the 20 mile runs I have been doing.

This entire training program I have also been swimming and biking to get ready for the Paratriathlon National Sprint Championship on May 27th.   It will be no time before both races are in the books. Looking forward to both.


*****************
Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 120 members in 25 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.



No comments:

Post a Comment