Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Boston Week 17-Flying Under the Radar

Booklet for Physically Challenged Athletes


"To finish will leave you feeling like a champion and positively change your life"- Hal Higdon

The race is less than a week away. I'm almost finished packing. I am starting to get excited. Last year I was really nervous, because I felt I carried lots of expectation. Both the ones I put on myself and the ones from the CMT community.

Last year I did lots of media, so I felt that I had to run really well. I set a goal to place in the top 3 in my division. I realized that goal with a 2nd place finish in the Mobility Impaired Division.

I trained so hard last year because of that goal and I wanted to be worthy of running in the Boston Marathon. I felt honored to be accepted in the race, I wanted to be a good representative for the CMT community. I am so thankful to B.A. A. for including Challenged Athletes in the race. Thankyou for making our dream of running Boston a realty. Thank you for giving us the chance to show the world what we can do.

The experience was even better than I imagined. I still remember running the last mile and feeling the volunteer put the finisher medal around my neck. I had worked so very hard for that moment. All the hard work and sacrifice were worth it.

It will be a different Boston experience this year. I chose to keep it low key. I didn't seek media attention, although I would have done media if offered.  I wanted to enjoy this Boston, with no pressure and no expectation.  I wanted this Boston to be fun, well as fun as a marathon can be.

I know the course now and won't be intimidated by it. My qualifying marathon in Madison, Wisconsin was tougher that the Boston course.

I did not train as hard this year. I over- trained last year and ended up with a cyst on my ankle. I still have it and am hoping to get through the race.  I am also focused on Nationals in Austin at the end of May. Because of that I have done more swimming and less running.  I hope I did the right amount of training.

It will be fun this year because I will have two friends along as guides. They will split the course and each run a half. The company will be very appreciated. There will be times during the race when I will so tired and in so much pain I will want to quite. Their presence will help me be strong. I know Monday will be a tough day, marathons always are. I am so thankful for their support.

I hope everyone with a wish to run Boston, sees that dream come true. Qualifying for and running Boston really has been a life changing experience.   I once thought my dream of running Boston was out of reach.
I know determination and hard work can take me as far as I can dream!

So yes, this Boston will be low key, but no less thrilling and satisfying.

***********

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 121 members in 26 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment