Thursday, March 14, 2013

Running Diva

This Diva running Denton Half Marathon December 2011


"Be yourself. An original is always worth more than a copy."--Unknown

It's no secret in about a month I will be running the Boston Marathon. This will be marathon number eight for me.  Unlike most of my marathons, I will have company.

Mobility Impaired runners are allowed two guides.  My friends Cheryl Monnat and Robert Kearney will split the course and each run a half with me.

Last year I joked Cheryl and Robert were my entourage.  They traveled to Boston to share the marathon experience with me.  So I thought this year I would put them to work.

Their job will be to carry my water, gels and anything else I need. They will hand me fuel or water when I need it. Other jobs include photographing the experience and talking to me to keep me from getting bored.

I told my sister this and she said I sounded like a diva. So I had to look up the meaning of diva.
 I found two;

  1.  this one from Webster's dictionary:   A unusually glamorous and successful female performer or personality. A true diva will do anything to get anything she wants.
  2. this one from the Urban dictionary;    A bitchy woman that must have her way exactly or no way at all. Selfish, spoiled and overly dramatic.
My sister was joking and I hope I don't fit either of those definitions. Certainly not glamorous, see the picture above.  I will have to check with my guides.  I am single minded and determined. I did not let anything stop me until I realized my dream of running the Boston Marathon. So now I am doing it for the second time and hoping to raise another $10,000 for CMT research.

I appreciate Robert and Cheryl's help.  I am falling more frequently now when I run, so they will be there in case I get hurt. They will provide much appreciated moral support. Plus they were the first two members of Team CMT. I am so excited to have them share in the Boston experience.

The half marathon will help them prepare for a half triathlon for the both of them in July and a full Iron Man for Robert in November.

So am I a running diva?  Well maybe just a little bit.  But don't tell anyone.


********************************
Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com
www.hnf-cure.org

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment