Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Book Review- Runner's World Cookbook


Runners World Cookbook Review

I’ve often asked what I eat by friends and family. I think they assume I eat super healthy because I am so active. While my diet was not bad, I realized this year that I needed to make some improvements.
I have been trying to eat more nutrient dense foods and less process pre-packed foods.  One of the things I’ve done is buy some new cookbooks.  One of my early purchases was this book.
The official title is “The Runners World Cookbook- 150 Ultimate Recipes for Fueling Up and Slimming Down- While Enjoying Every Bite.
The book is edited by Joanna Seyage Golub, with a forward by Denna Kastor.
I bought this book on Kindle because I already have hundreds of cookbooks in my kitchen. It is also nice to take grocery shopping or to flip through recipes when I have a free moment. I take my Kindle to the doctor’s office or when waiting to get my car serviced. I can pick out recipes while I’m waiting.
This book has a couple of nice features. There is a key for every recipe to tell you its key features at a glance.
·        Pre-run
·        Recovery
·        Fast
·        Vegetarian
·        Vegan
·        Low Calorie
·        Gluten Free
The intro to the book is a primer on how a runner should eat including the following topics:
·        Choosing a rainbow of produce
·        Choosing the right carbohydrate
·        Getting the right fats
·        Meeting protein needs
There are guides in each section for choosing the healthiest foods.
This is a comprehensive cookbook with recipes in every category including:
·        Breakfast
·        Snacks and Smoothies
·        Salads and Dressings
·        Soups and Stews
·        Sandwiches, Pizza and Burgers
·        Sauces & Pasta
·        Meat and Poultry Mains
·        Fish and Seafood Mains
·        Vegetables
·        Desserts
Almost every recipe comes with a picture. I like having a picture so I can decide if I want to make a dish. So far I’ve tried three recipes from the book:
·        Slow Cooker Clam Chowder
·        Chicken Quinoa Soup
·        Thai Beef and Snow Pea Stir fry
The soup recipe was one of the first recipes I made using quinoa.  I had quinoa on a trip to Peru, but was intimidated about making it.  This recipe got me started and I’ve now made quinoa a regular part of my diet All three recipes were wonderful.
The salad section has a really nice selection of salads. I’m looking forward to trying them and posting the results this summer.  There is also a really interesting kale pesto recipe I want to try.

You can buy the book in hard cover edition for  $16.99 or the Kindle version for $10.99. 


************************


Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
Author Running for My Life-Winning for CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a two time participant of the Boston Marathon.  She was the 2012 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division. In 2013 she qualified as a member of the Team USA Duathlon Team. She will compete in 2014 at the Age Group World Duathlon Sprint Championship in Pontevedre Spain.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 145 members in 29 states. We also have members in Australia, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Tea


No comments:

Post a Comment