Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Boston 3 Week 13- Character Building


Luck of the Irish 15 K March 2014  1st place Age Group

"Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves, it teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us find out what we are made of.  This is what we do. This is what it's all about." 
 - Patti Sue Plummer Two time U.S. Olympian and long distance runner

3/17     Monday          15 F     Swim 45 minutes
3/18     Tuesday          33 F     Run 40 minutes, weights 30 minutes
3/19     Wednesday     39 F     Bike 1 hr 30 minutes
3/20     Thursday         45 F     Run 30 minutes
3/21     Friday             41 F     Swim 50 minutes
3/22     Saturday         30 F     Luck of the Irish 15 K, 1 hr 36: 50, total with cool down 2 hr 15 min
3/23     Sunday           29 F     Bike 1 hour

I started the week in Marquette Michigan.  I like being away on business every once in a while. It gives me lots of time to work out in the evening.

What I didn't like was the 7 hour drive back from Marquette. Just like my trip in January, there was a snow storm.  I had to drive the first four hours with blowing snow on snow covered roads.  I could not even see the lane markings. There are rumble strips on the center line and on the outside of the road. When my car hit these I could not tell if I was on the center line or about to go in the ditch. It was all white.
So that was character building experience number one.

I finished the week with a 15 K race in Hartland, Wisconsin. I really did not want to race but it was on my training plan and if it's on the plan I'm going to do it.

It was not a great day for a run. The temperature was 31F, overcast, about 20 mph winds and it felt damp.It felt much colder than the run at did the Sunday before when it was 11F because there was no sun.

The course was 3 loops of 5K with two really long steep hills. That was four climbs on each loop. The 10 K and 15 K race started at the same time. Each loop came back to the start which was also the finish line. Almost everyone was doing the 10 K, so I got to watch runner after runner cross the finish line knowing I would have to do another loop  up and down the same two hills.

I usually don't run outside when it is this miserable. I was cold and hungry. My legs were hurting on the last lap and I was getting tired.   So a run on this kind of day is a character building experience. I don't like looped courses, because it is boring for me to see the same scenery multiple times. This time I didn't mind.  On the last lap I thought to myself, it is only 3 miles. That's easy.  I kept telling myself it was just a training run and that I had run 3 hours the week before.

My split at 5 K was 30:00, which would have been good enough for 2nd place in my age group.  My splint at 10 K was 62:00 and good enough for 3rd in my age group.  As I was doing the third loop the thought occurred to me since there were so few runners in the 15 K I was probably the only one in my age group.

I finished in 1 hr 36 minutes and 50 seconds.  Good enough for 1st place and there were two of us in my age group. She was 4 minutes behind me. I was worried I would be the last to cross the finish line, but there were a couple of dozen runners behind me. I felt mentally strong even though my legs were sore. I wonder how I will do 26 miles in Boston when 9 miles was a bit of a struggle. It always seems to happen and character building days like this race really help. It's what we runners do!

**************************


Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a two time participant of the Boston Marathon.  She was the 2012 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division. In 2013 she qualified as a member of the Team USA Duathlon Team. She will compete in 2014 at the Age Group World Duathlon Sprint Championship in Pontevedre Spain.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 145 members in 29 states. We also have members in Australia, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT




No comments:

Post a Comment