Monday, June 29, 2015

World Championship Prep, Week 10- Trade Offs

Riveredge Nature Center Bike Ride


"For everything you have missed, you have gained something else; and for everything you gain you lose something else."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

6/21,   Sun     Run 1 hr, 20 min
6/22,   Mon    Swim 70
6/23,   Tue     Yoga 60, wt. 30
6/24,   Wed    Bike 1 hr 45, run 10 min
6/25,   Thur    Group Bike ride, 1 hr 40 minutes
6/26,    Fri       Swim 70 minutes
6/27,    Sat       Bike 1 hr 15 minutes, Run 55 minutes

Part of being an athlete is working out to prepare for races.  If you've read my posts, you already know that I work out six days a week, sometimes seven days a week.

On many of those days, I am working out almost two hours. On the weekends it can be even longer if I have a long bike ride.

There are benefits of course to all that work. My resting heart rate is below 60 beats per minute. Lots of exercise is good for weight management and it keeps me strong to limit the progress of my CMT.

This much working out is needed if I want to perform well not only in the World Championships, but in races all though out the season.

One of those races will come on July 5th as I line up for the triathlon at the National Senior Games in Minneapolis.  I had planned on also doing cycling races later in the week. I had a change in plan because I found out this week I was accepted to the New York Triathlon on July 19th.

Admission is by lottery and the race has been filled for months. I gained entry through the Challenged Athletes Foundation.  I will be competing in the Physically Challenged Open division.

My entry came with a $1000 travel grant.  It won't pay all my expenses, but it is a good start.  I had to give up the cycling races for the Senior games to be able to do New York. I am looking forward to connecting with many our our New York Team CMT members and HNF board members.

All the working out I do crowds out lots of things in my life. About the only time I get to see a movie is when I'm on vacation.  We have a huge music festival here in Milwaukee called Summerfest.
I don't have time to go. It is just one of those things that gets edged out by my workout schedule. I  have not had my kayak out in two years either.

There are lots of trade offs I make as an athlete to be ready for high level competition.I am willing to trade those things to be ready when I line up for two national championship races this fall and the World Championships in September.  It's all worth it, because although I give up some things, competing in National and World Championships makes it all worth the sacrifice.

****************************

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 2nd at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division. She was on the course in 2013 when the bombs exploded.

She has appeared three times at the Paratriathlon National Triathlon Sprint Championship. She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.

In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship. She has qualified to represent Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015.  

 In 2014 she represented  the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 165 members in 32 states. We also have members in Australia, Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland, England and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing


No comments:

Post a Comment