Monday, June 22, 2015

World Championship Prep Weeks 7 & 8, Juggling Act


My Dad and Brother

" The key to success is often the ability to adapt."  Anthony Brandt

5/31 Sun      Run 30 min, bike 45 min, wts 30 min
6/1   Mon    Swim 70 min
6/2   Tue      Run 70 min
6/3   Wed    Swim 50 min
6/4   Thur    Rest
6/5   Fri       Bike 1 hr 20, run20 min
6/6   Sat       bike 2 hr 30 min, swim 70 min

6/7   Sun      Run 55 min, wt. 25 min,
6/8   Mon     Run 62 min
6/9   Tue      Swim 75 min
6/10  Wed    Bike 45 min, run 60 min
6/11  Thur    Bike 75 min, run 10 min
6/12   Fri      Bike 45 min
6/13   Sat      Women's bike clinic, bike 75 min

Sometimes the biggest challenge of being an athlete is the juggling act.  The first week of June I was in Dallas visiting my family right after the Para-triathlon National Championship.

My sister in law had off from work and it seemed like we were off doing something pretty much every day.  To get in my workouts I had to get up early before we went away for the day.

I left on Sunday from Dallas and it was a short week at work because my Dallas family was coming home for a visit on Thursday. So I unpacked, cleaned the house, did laundry, and grocery shopped to get ready.  I worked every day and got my workout in by doing it right after work. I start work at 6 am and I am done by 2:30. That gives me some time in the afternoon to get in my chores and my workout.

We were busy all weekend, a bead show on Friday, a visit to my dad on Saturday in Iola Wisconsin, then some shopping for Packer stuff on Sunday. My dad is in a nursing home now three hours away. His CMT now confines him to a wheelchair. I've watched over the years has he has adapted to his advancing CMT.  Sometimes when I look at him, I wonder if that will be my future as well. I am determined to do whatever it takes to stay active. I think it is the only thing that will slow the progression of my CMT.

 It was a good visit, but by the time they left I was exhausted.   I was too tired to do my open water swim on Monday night, but I adapted with a run.

I ended the week with a women's bike racing clinic. My coach says I need more group riding experience before I try a criterium. I got to practice some good bike handling skills like cornering.  I won an entry into a metric century women's ride and got some other great gifts that more than paid for the price of the clinic.

I am always thinking ahead to the future. About four years ago, I could tell my long distance running days were numbered so I started to transition into triathlon. Now as running is getting more difficult I am starting to lay the ground work to race bikes.

I've already done a couple of time trials and road races in the State Senior games and will get some more experience in a few weeks when I compete at the National Senior Games in Minneapolis.

Every week brings different challenges, the key to success as an athlete is adapting to get the workouts done. That is the only way to be ready for race day and life I guess!


************************

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 2nd at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division. She was on the course in 2013 when the bombs exploded.

She has appeared three times at the Paratriathlon National Triathlon Sprint Championship. She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.

In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship. She has qualified to represent Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015.  

 In 2014 she represented  the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 165 members in 32 states. We also have members in Australia, Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland, England and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.

CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing

No comments:

Post a Comment