Sunday, January 15, 2012

If you don't like the weather.....




" If people knew how hard I worked, they wouldn't be so amazed."- Michelanglo
Week 4 Training Boston Marathon

We always say in Wisconsin if you don't like the weather wait awhile.  Week 4 training brought a couple of challenges not least of which was the weather.  It was 57F when I left work on Wednesday afternoon. The day before it was in the low 50's and I managed to get in a bike ride for my training. I got my speed workout and tempo run in on Monday and Wednesday when the weather was still nice. Thursday we were hit with 6 inches of snow and much colder weather.  I did the nordic track on Thursday and a pool run on Sunday.  Saturday came around and the morning temperature was 16F. That was just too much of a change to do an outdoor run. Plus there was too much snow and ice. I just couldn't risk a slip or fall.

So it was off to the gym for a 15 miler on the treadmill. Based on my latest half marathon time I knew I was in for a 2 hour and 45 min run.  It takes some determination to grind out such a long treadmill workout. Having the TV helps, although there is not much worth watching on Saturday morning. I was able to get some hill work in so it was a good workout.

I did lots of treadmill workouts when I was training for the Madison Marathon last year.  We got 22 inches of snow on groundhog day. The snow banks at the corners were so high I was worried about a fall if I ran outside.  All that climbing also gets in the way when doing speed work and tempo runs.   Plus with my mom in the hospital the treadmill was sometimes the only way to get a work out done.  My work gym was just a few blocks from the hospital so I could see her, go get a workout and go back if needed. I was able to get in every work out, only missing the day she passed.  I am nothing, if not determined. Too bad I don't have the talent to go with the drive. That would really be a combination.

The other challenge was one I face quite often. My whole life I have struggled to get a good night sleep.  I have trouble falling asleep almost every Sunday night. Sometimes I'm awake all night and still have to get to work at 6 am.  Every Monday I have an arguement with myself about whether I am going to go in or call in sick. So far the going in is winning since I haven't taken a sick day in 9 years.
Of my 6 marathons I have slept the night before only once.  That was my last because I took a prescription sleeping pill.  Imagine running a marathon or half marathon on virtually no sleep.

Well I had trouble falling asleep on Sunday and Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday. Thrusday night I was so exhausted I went to bed at 6 pm.   The problem is I was still awake two hours later after taking melatonin and tylenol PM.  My legs were all jumpy like someone was shocking them so I know this sleep issue is related to the CMT. Since I was still early I actually took a prescription sleeping pill.  I only use them when I am really desperate. You can build up a tolerance for them, so I dont want to fall back on this too often.  I feel asleep but woke up still feeling tired.  Hopefully this week goes better.

This week looks much the same training wise.  The mileage just bumps up a little on the long run. It will be a 16 miler this weekend. Really hoping to get outside to do that.

Woke up this morning with a sinus headache and a sore throat. Hopefully I can shake that.

Chris Wodke
Manager & Founder Team CMT


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment