Friday, May 18, 2012

A Challenged Athlete

Boston Marathon Post Party-Fenway Park

"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."- Russell Warren

Just 10 days to go until the National Sprint Championship in Austin Texas.  I know I like to compete and work out, but I didn't realize until this week just what an obsession it is.  I've been thrown yet another challenge as I get ready for Austin.

I have been fighting an injury on my right ankle.  It happened right after a swim clinic about 3 weeks ago. I remember bumping my ankle at work and finding the pea size knot on my ankle. It hurt like hell. At first I thought it was tendinitis, which could have sidelined me for weeks. It's also an injury that is tough to heal.
It's probably the result of 3 marathons in the last year including a very hot and hilly Boston Marathon just over a month ago.  I went right from Boston into training for Nationals.  Maybe I was trying to do just a little too much.

It seems to be a muscle knot and it is putting a serious crimp in my training plans.  To have a shot at the national championship I am going to have to run my absolute best race. I can't do that if I'm injured. If I stop training to let it heal, I lose valuable training time. I lose both the physical and mental preparation for the race.

Usually with running I can work around most minor injuries. So I 've been trying to keep training and it's not working well. First I stopped running except in the pool.  I kept up with the cycling including a hilly 2 hr ride last Sunday in Governor Dodge Park.  It got so bad last week and this that I took 2 days off in a row. I don't even do that when I'm sick.

Last night it hurt to drive.  So I may be taking the drastic measure of three or four days off to see if I can get my ankle to heal. I haven't had that many days off since I had shoulder surgery 14 years ago.  It is driving me crazy. Working out is such a part of my routine it just doesn't feel right not to be doing something. Most days I training in at least two and sometimes 3 sports.

The injury takes a toll mentally as well. I always questions if I've done enough of the right training for an event. Now I will have to second guess both the decision to keep working out and now to take time off.  My coach and doctor both assure me my performance won't suffer much.  I guess we will find out race day. I know I would feel more mentally prepared if I was working hard.  Doing nothing is harder for me than working out.  I can't wait until I can bike, swim and run pain free. I love being active and miss it. I  get some of my best ideas when running.  I can't even remember the last time I ran

So yes I am probably obsessed, but I think its a pretty healthy obsession. Will see if rest helps and if I can resist the temptation to get back at it.

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
WWW.RUN4CMT.COM


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment