Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Least Likely to Succeed

Joyce Kelly, Chris Wodke, Morgan Johnson Denton Texas

"Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it."- HH The Dali Lama

When I was in Boston in April I started the trip with a visit with my college friend Viktor.  We talked about my Boston Marathon run and the fact I would be competing at the National Triathlon Sprint Championship.  He laughed and said I was the last person he would have expected going to a national competition. I laughed and agreed.  I'm still trying to wrap the mind around the fact that if I place 1st in my group I will gain a spot on the US team and a chance to compete at the World Championship in New Zealand.   I've come a long way from the girl that sat the bench for two years of grade school volley ball and endured endless taunting about my slow running.  

Athletic and grace would never be terms that come to mind to anyone who knows me really well. I've overcome lots of limitations by working hard. I had to do something even harder to get ready for this race. I had to stop working out to let an ankle injury heal.  I realize how much athletics have become a part of my life and who I am. I had to put it aside for four difficult days so I could get to Austin injury free.  I ran tonight for the first time in weeks and it felt wonderful.

I put off doing triathlons for years because I was afraid of doing the open water swim. I panicked the first two races. I had to do the backstroke to through the race, but I made it.

There are fears and doubts for this race too.. This is only my 5th triathlon and I still feel like a beginner.  I have very little experience doing open water swims.  Still figuring out bike racing and transitions.  Just hope I don't make any big mistakes and I get through the race.

I'll have tough competition. The current champion lives in Florida and has probably been riding for months. I have had a few weeks to get used to my new clip less pedals.  I will be competing against athletes that are younger and more experiences. 

Life is funny. You never know what unexpected opportunities will present themselves.  The chance to compete in a national championship is one I never expected.  I am going to make the most of it. I am so excited to be there and am going to have as much fun as possible and not worry about anything else.  I'll remind myself how far I've come and what I've had to give up to get there. And I will try not to focus on how much I have yet to learn.  If there is one thing I've learned its the biggest limitations anyone faces are the ones they put on themselves. 

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT


No comments:

Post a Comment