Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Boston Marathon Weekend-Day 2

The most coveted number in all of running



" There is no such thing as bad weather, just soft people."  Bill Bowerman


Saturday was number pick up day. Number pick up happens at the South Seaport on the Boston Harbor and is billed as the world's largest runners expo.  I was excited to see the expo, buy my Boston Marathon gear and pick up my number.

Even though I arrived on Friday, I waited to go to the expo until friends Robert Kearney and Cheryl Monnat could come along.Since they're runners as well, they were looking forward to the expo as much as I was.

I wanted to pick up the number first thing. I had waited so long for this day. But there was a problem. When I presented my ID to pick up my number, I was given a slip and told to go the resolution center.

Once there a Boston Athletic Association official warned me about the weather. They could not remember what condition I had, but strongly advised I don't run. Temperatures were expected to be in the 80's. I assured them I do well in the heat.  The official wanted to talk to me personally to offer me a deferment to next year. I was guaranteed entry as long as I didn't start the race.  I told them I would be running. They said my number was flagged in the database and the medical staff would be aware of any medical issues I had. I was also told to fill out the medical emergency contact information on the back of my number in case anything happened. I was also handed material on how to hydrate properly.  I appreciate the concern race officials.

I was given my number and was able to pick up my goodie bag.  I waited so long for this day. It seemed real now. Runners are seeded by qualifying time and my time put me at 21,611 among the 27,000 runners. I would be starting the very last wave, but I was "all in".

The expo was huge. I bought two Boston jackets, Not crazy about the orange color of this years gear, but I wasn't going to pass on buying a Boston marathon jacket.  Half the fun is being able to brag a bit by wearing my jacket around Milwaukee until next years race.

Well we finished up with some shopping at the expo and headed to a nearby brew pub for lunch.
As the day went on the temperature forecast got higher and higher. It topped out at 86F by Sunday night.  The B.A.A. was asking all non elite runners not to run. That should have been me, but I knew I was ready. I'd never trained harder for a race and I couldn't wait to run.  I just had to get through one more day.

Taking the deferment was never an option.  I had already qualified for 2013 when I ran the Marine Corp marathon,  Besides what is a little weather. We Wisconsin folks are tough. Bring it on!!!

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have almost 100 members in 17 states. If you wish to join us visit our web site.

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Running, triathlons, impaired athlete, paratriathlon, USAT, running and CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment