Monday, April 14, 2014

Boston 3- Week 16, Trusting My Training



Participant Packet Boston 2014 Marathon


"A marathoner is a marathoner regardless of time. Virtually everyone who tries the marathon has put in training over months, and it is that exercise and that commitment, physical and mental, that gives meaning to the medal, not just the day's effort, be it fast or slow. It's all in conquering the challenge."-  Mary R. Wittenberg, President , New York Road Runners Club

4/7  Monday           53 F,  45 min run
4/8  Tuesday           50 F,  45 min swim, 30 min wts.
4/9  Wednesday      62 F,  1 hr 15 min bike, 25 min run
4/10 Thursday         61 F,   Rare day off from working out!!!!
4/11 Friday             61 F,   1 hr 15 min run
4/12 Saturday         48F,     50 min swim, 25 min wts.
4/13 Sunday           41 F     1 hr 45 min run

I was chatting with a couple of ladies after indoor bike class on Wednesday. One of them asked if I was getting ready for a race. Anyone doing a winter indoor class is probably getting ready for an early season race.

I told them I was getting running for Boston and they asked if I was ready.  I confessed I wasn't because I was doing a completly different training program with more cross training and much less running.  After doing so much runninig for all my other marathons, it did not feel like enough running.

My coach felt I had run too much in the past and that my legs were really beat up. My goal with this Boston was to finish and save my legs for triathlon season.

My legs have been much better this Boston. I have seen much better results in bike class and in the indoor tri I did in February.

This Boston I also turned over my training completely to my coach. It was tough to give up that control.
After I did my bi-weekly conference call with my coach Heather Haviland I felt much better.

I respect her and trust her training plan is going to get me through Boston. She has often reminded me that there are a lot of miles on my legs and they will remember on race day.

She also asked me to write out my race plan to pacing, nutrition, hydration and mental strategy. As I was wrote out my plan I realized the experience I bring to the race. I realized I've got it. Anything can happen on race day. But this is marathon number 9 and I have seen just about everyting on race day.

I've experienced, rain, cold, extreme heat, forgeting crucial items and one bombing. After writing out my plan I'm ready and excited.  Just one more step and that is to write out my positive affirmations that will get me through the race.

So if someone asks me now; I'm ready. There will be nerves and doubt as I stand at the start line. I'll be tired and I'll wonder if I will have the energy to finish the race. I'll wonder if I can handle the pain.

The anwer will be yes.  My coach also asked me to visualize the race. I can hear the crowds, especially on Bolyston street and the finish, which I missed last year. I can see the volunteer putting the finisher medal around my neck and I can't wait. Yes, I'm ready.

***************************

Guide Cheryl Monnat and author at 2013 Boston Marathon


Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a two time participant of the Boston Marathon.  She was the 2012 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division. In 2013 she qualified as a member of the Team USA Duathlon Team. She will compete in 2014 at the Age Group World Duathlon Sprint Championship in Pontevedre Spain.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 145 members in 29 states. We also have members in Australia, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT


No comments:

Post a Comment