Thursday, April 17, 2014

Boston Marathon Prep- Positive Affirmations




"Competitive sports are played mainly on a five and a half inch court, the space between your ears." - Bobby Jones, Championship golfer

Part of my getting ready for Boston was writing down positive affirmations.  It all part of the mental preparation for the event. Your mind does not know the difference between something you tell yourself or an event you visualize. It is as if it really happened.

Repeating these affirmations sets you up for success.  After writing them, then I review them every day, especially right as I am going to sleep. It is a little programing to assure success.

When I ran my first Boston Marathon, I set the goal to finish in the top three in my division. I visualized the third place finish and standing on the podium as they put the medal around my neck.  I finished 2nd and although I did not stand on the podium.....I went back to the hotel to take a shower instead of going to the aware ceremony.  That did not make the accomplishment any less sweet.

My goal is just to finish this year and here are my affirmations:

Positive Affirmations-Boston Marathon

1.)   My legs will remember.
2.)   I trust my training.
3.)   My legs are strong.
4.)   I am rested and ready.
5.)   I am excited to run to the finish.
6.)   I am smiling because I am having the time of my life.
7.)   I will remember this day forever.
8.)   I am loving the crowds.
10.) The crowds will push me to the finish.
11.) I own the pain.
12.) Tired is normal, I have the energy to finish.
13.) I’m mentally strong.
14.) Nothing can stop me.
15.) I run carefully, picking up my feet.
16.) I trust my training.
17.) I love running up hills.
18.) I love running down hills.
19.) Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.
20.) I run for those who can’t.
21.) I run for Boston
22.) I run for those affected last year.
23.) I am an athlete.
24.) The finisher medal feels so good around my neck.
25.) I am so proud of my finish.
26.) I run strong down Boylston Street.
27.) I give high fives and way all along the course.
28.) I love the crowds.
29.) I get energy from the steam tunnel at Wellesley.

30.) I get energy from the students at Boston College.

**************************

Author at 2013 Boston Marathon

Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a two time participant of the Boston Marathon.  She was the 2012 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division. In 2013 she qualified as a member of the Team USA Duathlon Team. She will compete in 2014 at the Age Group World Duathlon Sprint Championship in Pontevedre Spain.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 149 members in 27 states. We also have members in Australia, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment