Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Boston Marathon Thank you



"I'm a believer that running brings out the best in people. Running inspires. Running unites. Running uplifts. By pushing us to our limits and across them, running takes us to places we never thought possible- or even real. A good run can turn a dark day bright and a bright day shine brighter. Performed on the scale of a marathon, running can transform communitites and change lives". - Mike Cassidy American Elite Long Distance Runner.


The Boston Athletic Association sent out a thank-you note this week to all the runners for particpating. We took back the course and gave the city of Boston and all the communities all the route a reason to celebrate.

Here are just a few of the stats from this year's run and a few thank yous of my own.

Runners: 32, 456 started
Finishers: 31, 931 including Team CMT members Chris Wodke and CJ Charboneau
54 Push wheelchair athletes, 53 finished.
51 Visually impaired, 48 finished ( Thank you B.A.A for giving us the chance to particpate and taking such good care of us!)
48 Mobiity Impaired athletes, 44 finished. I finished 5th among the women

In my age group Joan Samuelson posted the fasted time ever by a women in this age group at 2:52:11. She is a two time Boston Marathon Champ and marathon gold medalist from the LA games.


Men's Winner
Meb Kelfezighi, 2:08 and the first American since 1983. He donated his prize money to the Boston One Fund and wore the names of the victims on his race bib.  He was at the finish line last year when the bombs went off and vowed to come back and win the race for America.


Women's Winner
Rita Jeptoo at 2:18, won the the London Marathon just 3 weeks ago and this is her third Boston win.

Volunteers: 10,000
This is the heart of any race, they man the water stops, stand at the start, had out gel, man the athletes village, hand out finisher medals, work luggage check and packet pick up. Thanks for being there and standing all day in the heat. We could not run without you.

Medical Staff
Two percent of the runners did not finishh and the medical staff are there to see to their needs. They help finishers as well. About half way through the race I was starting to chaff on my underarms. I was praying for some vasaline and within minutes there were the medical staff on the course handing out vasaline. Thanks for making my race much more comfortable.

Ladies of Old South Church
Thank you to the ladies that knited scarfs to give to the runners. Thank you for your prayers. Thank you for wrapping us in courage and love. One of my fondest memories of this race is getting this scarf. Your care  and love were greatly appreciated.
Security
The Boston Marathon course was the safest place on earth Marathon Monday thanks to the 3500 law enforcement personnel on duty.  They were evident throughout Boston during race weekend.


 

I had to stop and ask directions several times over the weekend and the police officers were pleasant and happy to help. I am sure it was a stressful weekend for them and they maintained their good humor.
Thanks also to the National Guard present throughout the race course. The crowds were large and they kept them back to keep the runners safe and give us room. Thank you for being there for hours to keep us safe.

Spectators
Thank you to everyone that stood on the course for hours. Thank you for cheering for me like I'm an elite runner. Thanks to the ladies of Wellesley for your signs and scream tunnel. You give me a boost of energy at the halfway point. Thanks to the students of Boston College for the loud cheers and high five's. You come near the end of the race and you push me to the finish. Thank you spectators for the oranges, prezels, fig newtons and high fives. Thank you for giving me a reason to run. Thanks for all the fun signs. You helped us take back this race. You made it a celebration.  As we got closer to Boston there were more of you and you were louder than anyone can possibley imagine. Thank you for being there for us!

Team CMT
Thanks CJ for running I am so proud of you! It was so great to meet you. There were 1 million fans along the course. We raised lots of awareness on race day.
Thanks for my friend Cheryl Monnat for being my guide. You were the perfect guide and I was glad to have you by my side. I'm glad you got to finish this year as well.

My Coach
When someone asked me a week before the race is I was ready I said no.  My coach Heather Haviland had me doing a lot less running and much more cross training.  She said I had been running way to much, beating up my legs.
As a runner I was worried it was not enough.  I always worry I've not done enough running. She said my legs would remember.
She was right, my legs had a mind of their own and I ran my best marathon in 3 years. I felt better doing it and feel better after than after any marathon.  My coach also had me plan out my pacing, nutrition and hydration strategy. Writing them down helped me to realize I was ready. She had me write out positive affirmations about the race. I used some of these as my mantra when things got tough. Thank to coach Heather I was both mentally and physicall prepared. I was excited to race.  From now on I will have to trust my training. My coach has made me a believer. She set a goal and got me ready to be successful. I owe you a big thank you!

It takes lots of planning to put on a race with 36,000 registered runners. The B.A.A. puts on a well organized, well run race.  It is a great experience from start to finish. Thank you for another great race!

*******************
Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a two time participant of the Boston Marathon.  She was the 2012 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division. In 2013 she qualified as a member of the Team USA Duathlon Team. She will compete in 2014 at the Age Group World Duathlon Sprint Championship in Pontevedre Spain.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 149 members in 27 states. We also have members in Australia, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.

CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT

No comments:

Post a Comment