Monday, September 14, 2015

World Championship- Race Week

ITU Grand Finale Event by the Numbers


"The ultimate is not to win, but to reach within the depth of your capabilities and to compete against yourself to the greatest extent possible. When you do that you have dignity. You have pride. You can walk around with pride no matter what place you happen to finish." -Billy Mills, Olympic Gold Medalist, Running

Sun     9/6     Swim 80 min, bike 90 min
Mon    9/7     Bike 90 min
Tues    9/8     Bike 80 min, run 21 min
Wed    9/9     Swim 55 min, run 56 min
Thur   9/10    Bike 45 min
Fri      9/11    Rest
Sat      9/12   Bike 80 minutes, Swim 80 minutes
Sun     9/13   Bike 60 min

Mon    9/14   Bike 45 min
Tues    9/15   Run 30 minute
Wed     Race, Aquathlon World Championship, Age Group 750 m swim, 5 K run
Sat        Spring Race, 750 M swim, 20K bike, 5 K run


In just two days I'll be lining up with age group athletes from around the world in the age group aquathlon world championship race. I won't win anything and it really doesn't matter. I've taken a completely different approach this year to racing.

I've decided to focus on the process, to race well and enjoy the experience. I work to have the most mistake free race possible. I race to get the very best out of myself and let the results happen.

My coach told me I was certainly racing differently this year and it has been a lot more fun.  I've learned that getting the best out of myself is the real win. I've worked so hard and given up so much to get to the starting line this week.

I am not sure yet which race I will be doing on Saturday. There is a International Triathlon Union (ITU) PC Open World Championship race and a PC Open USA Triathlon race. The waves go off back to back.  CMT athlete Donna D will be in the ITU race. The talent is deep in the ITU race with single leg amputees grouped with those of us with neuromuscular conditions. Out of the 7 women in the category, my usual race time will put me 5th or 6th.

To participate in the ITU race I have to pass through medical classification. I have failed three times and there is no reason to expect the result will be any different. I was 10 points away last year. I will be seeing a different team this time. I hate the process because I feel like the assessors do not believe I have challenges.  It never feels good to be rejected. I could not ever race after last year's assessment because I was so upset. If I do not pass this classification, I may not be eligible to go through classification again. So my career at the ITU level is really on the line.

My coach and I also talked a lot this year about working on the things I can control. I can't control what happens in the assessment process. I can only work hard to be ready for whatever race I do on Saturday.   I am working really hard to be happy to race in either race.  I am working on accepting the outcome. I tell myself that if I do not get in, it just means God has something else in mind for me. I am right where he wants me and he does not make mistakes.

I try and remember how fortunate I am to be competing in triathlon and what a privilege it is to represent my country. If I do not pass through classification, I will line up for the USAT race and I will wear my Team CMT uniform. It is awareness month and the reason I started this journey was to raise awareness. I will be so proud to represent the CMT community at this event. So no matter what happens that work will go on.  I actually might have a chance to medal in this division. In any case I will focus on have a mistake free race, having fun and doing the very best I can.

See you at the finish!

*********************


Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 2nd at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division. She was on the course in 2013 when the bombs exploded.

She has appeared three times at the Paratriathlon National Triathlon Sprint Championship. She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.

In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship. She has qualified to represent Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015.  

 In 2014 she represented  the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6


Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 165 members in 32 states. We also have members in Australia, Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland, England and Iran. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org


CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing



No comments:

Post a Comment