Saturday, June 15, 2019

Powerman Frankenmuth-Opening Day


"The journey is better than the inn".- Don Quixote

I plan out most of my season in early January.  I decided this year to add a couple of duathlons to my race schedule.  It seemed like it would be a nice change of pace from triathlons. Just running, biking and no swim. 

I've been looking at the events run by Three Disciplines race group in Michigan for a couple of years. They have a race of some kind just about every weekend.  I picked the Powerman Duathlon in Frankenmuth on May 5th.  I thought it would be a fun road trip that I could do in a long weekend.

Frankenmuth is about a 7 hour drive from Milwaukee and is located in North Central Michigan. It was founded in the 1840's by German settlers. This town of 5000 gets 3 million visitors every year.

The attractions include Bonners' the Worlds largest Christmas store and a downtown lined with shops in German style buildings. The town is also famous for the Bavarian Inn that serves a famous chicken dinner.  Part of the attraction of this race was to see a new place.

There are just a few of the local sites.








I felt relaxed about the event because it was a 5 K run, 20 K bike and 5 K run. Not terribly challenging physically. Just a good way to start off the season.    

The only problem with the race was most of the run was on grass.  We've had a really rainy spring in the Mid-west.  It has rained almost every day. This week was no different. It rained four straight days including  the night before the race. So the course and transition was all very muddy.  

I signed up for the purple service which was a perk the race offered.


I had my own personal attendant to make me a hot chocolate in the morning, recovery boots if I needed them and most importantly a place to put my stuff.  My attendant after the race offered to get me food and took my picture at the awards ceremony. It was nice to have access to my stuff before transition opened since it was in the low 50's at race start and only about 10 degrees warmer after the race.

The race itself was pretty uneventful.  There were three races, a sprint, super-sprint and a long distance.    I had talked to a women in my age group at the start and she told me she was the only one in the age group last year. I thought it might just be the two of us.   The race course was muddy.  I was sinking into the grass and my shoes were covered in mud.   They are still stained.  I kept an eye out from the other women I knew was in our age group. I was several minutes ahead of her after the first run.

The bike was completely flat. My bike computer had died the day before the race, so I had no idea of my speed.  A man and women ahead of me were drafting off each other which is illegal.  The course was windy and a bit cold.

The second run was the exact repeat of the first. One of the fun things about the course is that is ran through a covered wooden bridge. I went thought the bridge four times during the race.

The bridge reminded me of similar structures I saw in Germany.  That helped to make for a really fun race. The course also went through downtown which was full of tourist. Just a really fun race.

I finished the first run in 31:41, the bike in 1 hr 16 and the second run in 34:51.  It was good enough for 1st in the age group. There were three of us and I had to work for it.    I took home some nice race swag.


I have three duathlons on my race schedule this year.  I am hoping to be nationally ranked and gain a spot on Team USA.   The World Championship will be in the Netherlands.  My next duathlon is on June 23rd at Pleasant Prairie.

The only snag on the trip were my accommodations. I stayed at a Red Roof  Inn in Saginaw because rooms were in the $200 to $300 dollars in Frankenmuth. The room looked fine on the Internet pictures.  The room was less than clean. The neighborhood also seemed a bit dicey.  There were two abandoned hotels on the same block as my accommodations. So for this trip, the journey really was better than the Inn.

************


Chris Wodke
Founder & Manager Team CMT
www.run4cmt.com

Chris is a triathlete and long distance runner. She is a three time participant of the Boston Marathon.  In 2012 she finished 2nd at Boston in the Mobility Impaired Division. She was on the course in 2013 when the bombs exploded.

She has appeared three times at the Paratriathlon National Triathlon Sprint Championship. She was the 2012 and 2014 National Champion Paratriathlon Open Division Champion.

In 2014 she was the PC Open Champion at the Duathlon National Championship and at the Aqua bike National Championship in 2016. She represented Team USA at the Aquathon ITU World Championship in Chicago in 2015i, Cozumel in 2016 and Denmark in 2018. In 2018 finishing 5th in the 60 to 64 age group.

 In 2014 she represented the U.S. as a paratriathlete at the Pan-American Triathlon Championship in Dallas, Texas.  She has won state championships in cycling and triathlon as a senior Olympian. In 2017 she placed 2nd in her age group at the Winter Triathlon National Championship, earning a spot on Team USA for the World Championship.

She travels around the country raising awareness of CMT.

She is the author of the book, “Running for My Life” that details her experience as a CMT affected athlete and the book “Soup Sundays, A Journey Toward Healthy Eating”.

You may visit her author page at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Wodke/e/B00IJ02HX6

Team CMT is a group of athletes and supporters working to raise awareness and to find a cure for CMT. We have 221 members in 41 states. We also have members in Australia, England, Scotland, Canada, Vietnam, Turkey, Finland, France, Ireland, Poland, Iran, Norway and Sweden. If you wish to join us visit our web site; www.run4cmt.com or www.hnf-cure.org

CMT or Charcot-Marie-Tooth is the most commonly inherited peripheral neuropathy. It affects over 155,000 Americans (as many as MS).  It is a disease of the nerves that control the muscles. It is slowly progressive, causing loss of normal function and or sensation in the lower legs/feet and arms/hands.

Symptoms include; muscle wasting in the lower legs and feet leading to foot drop, poor balance and gait problems Atrophy in the hands causes difficulty with manual dexterity.

Structural foot deformities such as high arches and hammer toes are common.

Poor tolerance for cool or cold temperatures and many people have chronically cold hands and feet.

Additional symptoms may include fatigue, sleep apnea, breathing difficulties and hearing loss.

Additional Link
Follow CMT affected Paratriathlete Timmy Dixon
http://cmtamputee.wordpress.com/

Follow CMT Author Chris Steinke
https://cmtandmesite.wordpress.com/2017/01/30/what-is-charcot-marie-tooth-disease/


Keywords: Running, Running and CMT, triathlon, triathlon and CMT, athlete and CMT, cycling and CMT, paratriathlon, challenged athlete, Team CMT, Running for My Life-Winning for CMT. Hereditary Neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth.
CMT and running, CMT and triathlon, CMT and athlete, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and running, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and triathlon, Team USA and Team CMT, Running for my life-Winning for CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, triathlete and CMT, Boston Marathon Bombing, CMT disease, CMT and exercise, exercise and CMT, CMT, athlete and CMT.Team CMT, CMT athlete, athlete and CMT, bike4CMT, walk4CMT,  CMTA, HNF, Tri4CMT, Walk4CMT, MDA


No comments:

Post a Comment